No 8GB 5th Gen Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by krause734, Sep 15, 2012.

1. krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

I am not complaining, but I am wondering why there is no 8GB ipod touch for this fifth generation of devices. They start at 32 GB and $299 is a little expensive for a holiday/birthday gift. I guess this is why they are still selling 4th Gen 8GB.
    I think they did this with the 3rd Generation as well only making 32 and 64GB models. Personally, I can get by with 8GB although 16GB like the iPhone would be ideal.
    Just my two cents.

2. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

The parts for the iPhone 5 increased its production cost from $132 to like $164, maybe something similar happened with the touch and Apple was unhappy with the profit margins of a $199 model.

3. greg555 macrumors 6502a

The new iPod appears to use the same screen as the iPhone, including the oiliphobic coating. The 4G iPod uses a lower quality LCD (non-IPS) than the iPhone 4. So the costs may have been too high to use the new screen in the entry level model.

4. Jayste4 macrumors newbie

Actually, the old iPod Touch 4th gen is now being sold in 16gb and 32gb, for $199 and $249. 8gb models are no longer available.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch/select_4thgeneration

It seems to me if you are willing to settle for a 4th gen iPod Touch, 16gb is a pretty good deal for $199, considering that just a week ago the 8gb model sold for the same.

5. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

There has been a massive upgrade to the iPod touch this year compared to the 4th Gen, and to put all the brand new tech into a sub £249/$299 device would lose Apple money. Nobody would buy an 8GB for that much, so they made the base 5th Gen model 32GB. They kept the 4th Gen at the same lower price it was before but with double the amount of storage, to compensate for no lower capacity 5th Gen.

Personally, I see Apple never doing an 8GB iPod touch again, so from now on the iPod touch will start at 16GB.

6. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Save yourself some money and get a refurbished one. It's just like buying new, comes with all the same stuff a new one would, with a nice discount :)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

7. Jayste4 macrumors newbie

I already have an 8gb 4th gen, so I will wait for the 5th gens to start showing up on the refurb site.

8. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

8GB seems very small space today. don't you think? I have the first generation Kindle fire. men, it is easily filled with content. you have to delete, add all the time. I think that 32GB is very reasonable to own, and store all your content you need. 64GB is great but still expensive. I just decided to buy 32GB model which will serve very well for next two years or so.