No Access To Files on Hard Disk

Discussion in 'iMac' started by albez, Feb 6, 2015.

1. albez macrumors newbie

I have upgraded a mid 2011 iMAC to SSD and clean installed Yosemite. It now works well - but I have a need to access 2 word files on the old hard disk which I have now put into a USB caddy.

Using the caddy and my MacBook AirI can see the document folder that the files are in and using 'get info' I can see that the folder has 500Mb of files in it, but when I access the folder it shows no files. Any ideas on how I can access the files in this folder? Otherwise I will have to reverse the upgrade process!

Thanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

[[ Using the caddy and my MacBook AirI can see the document folder that the files are in and using 'get info' I can see that the folder has 500Mb of files in it, but when I access the folder it shows no files. Any ideas on how I can access the files in this folder? ]]

For some reason, might the files inside the folder be "invisible" to the finder?
    Or, might they not be showing up because they belong to a different user account?

Here's something to try first:
    1. Mount the drive in the finder, so that its icon shows on the desktop
    2. Click on the drive icon ONE time to select it
    3. Type "command-i" to bring up the get info box
    4. In the extreme lower-right corner, there is a lock icon. Click on it
    5. Enter your administrative password
    6. Now, in the lower-left corner, there should be a checkbox to "ignore ownership on this volume" Put a check into it.
    7. Close the get info box.
    Try accessing the folder in question now.
    Does anything change?

You might try downloading something called "Pathfinder", which is a file broswer and manipulator. It's easy to use, and I believe you can download it for free and use it free for 30 days -- long enough to solve your problems.

Pathfinder has an option to "show all invisible files".
    Choose that option, navigate to the problem folder, and open it.
    Can you see anything inside?

3. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

If you purchased a 27" iMac, you can have both the SSD and your old hard drive inside your Mac

4. hfg, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

If the folder has a tiny red mark on it, right click and select "get info", then down at the bottom of the pop-up, unlock it and make yourself the owner.

EDIT: sorry Fishrrman, didn't read your post fully to see you had the same advice above with more detail.

5. albez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks hfg and fishrrman for your help. Your advice led me to the solution and all is now fine. Shows the power of this forum!