No Activation--Use iPhone on just Wi-Fi??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by transitman, Jun 28, 2007.

1. transitman macrumors member

Can you purchase an iPhone, not activate it and just use it with Wi-Fi networks? You would only be using the phone as a pocket PC only an apple version. Obviously you would not be able to use the phone, but who wants Cingular/AT&T anyways? Can you buy and iPhone and only use the web/email/iPod and not the phone? Or does the Wi-Fi work through the AT&T activation?

2. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

in case you don't want to read that thread, here is what is says on Apple's page

so no, you can't use it at all without activation.

4. transitman thread starter macrumors member

Thank You

Thank you for your kind response. Many people in these forums are very unkind! :)

I thought it would have been a good idea because I want the iPhone but I don't want AT&T. Why does it have to be like this? Does anyone else share my frusrations?

5. Diviant macrumors newbie

So basically you want to pay $500/600 just to have a really small computer that only does internet browsing? You can find much better things to do that.

6. transitman thread starter macrumors member

I want all the stuff it has!

It is an iPod, email, web browsing, PDA, all you lose is the phone (AT&T stinks) and the ability to get online without being in a Wi-Fi area. Not too bad with the availabiltiy of Wi-Fi nowadays. I just don't want to have to carry my MacBook around everywhere and I also want a touch screen iPod. I just wish they would make this thing for Verizon! I know that Verizon passed it up, but maybe we can someday find a way to hack into it like you can with other phones!

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It might happen but don't hold your breath.

8. eddietr macrumors 6502a

You could figure out how to fail the credit check (borrow someone's SSN?), sign up for a prepaid account and then simply not use the account. Or at least not use it very often.

9. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

If anyone CAN hack the iPhone(GSM) its not going to run on a CDMA network!

10. island macrumors 6502

island

Very good point. This seems like it should be in main FAQ for the iPhone here after it's verified tomorrow. Also, if you use a random social security number I am very sure you won't pass the check. Then again it would be funny if you ended up with $0 deposit!

11. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

I'm pretty sure that's also highly illegal.

You could wait and see what the consequences of cancelling a plan, but keeping the phone are. Speak to an Apple Rep or AT&T (although, i doubt they would be as reliable) and see what they say about the phone functioning after initial setup, but after a plan has been cancelled.

12. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Identity theft....

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I don't think it would work. They don't have pay-as-you go just prepaid. So you would be paying in advance for service. I suspect that you would be paying for data access. So you would not be able to just not use the phone much.

14. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Cool idea! What is the cancellation fee at ATT?

15. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I don't know how to the prepaid account works. They can't ask for too much up front, right? It is, after all, designed for people who don't qualify for the normal plans. I'll bet the per minute costs are ridiculous, though. But OK, if you're someone who wants this phone just for the iPod and internet.

Not an issue for me at all, since I already have an AT&T family plan and a data plan, so my cost actually goes down anyway.

16. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

$175

I assume after canceling, you lose all functionality the next time it gets a chance to update with the cell network.

17. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Not if someone cracks/hacks it, or gets it working on another network. I would think that as long as you do not resync with iTunes or update the OS, it should still run. All for 599+175=774