No Activesync Without Enterprise Data Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by parkds, Jul 1, 2008.

1. parkds macrumors regular

I have started seeing reports online, including one on TUAW, stating that AT&T might somehow restrict ActiveSync access such that you would need the far more expensive enterprise data plan to utilize the feature. Is this really something that AT&T has the ability to lock you out of using? I would think that as long as the option remains on the software for the phone to set up ActiveSync, that AT&T wouldn't be able to have much control. Wouldn't their servers just see it as regular data being transfered?

2. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea I saw that too. They do the same thing with Blackberries though. If I'm not mistaken.

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

phones have stuff locked out of them all the time, it is just firmware and software

not sure if it is going to happen in the case of an iPhone but it is certainly possible if they wanted to do it.

4. iphonematt Guest

I agree. If AT&T blocks Activesync, i will be pissed. I am a student and my school email is on an exchange server. If I can't access it without the "enterprise" plan, I will be visiting my local AT&T store to complain and they can pay the extra $15 themselves.

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I wouldn't know, but if your school email does forwarding or pop access you can have Gmail pick it up and then just put the gmail account on the phone.

6. lrdiaz macrumors member

Yeah! I'll bet they will be so scared of you!!!!!
    Dream ON!

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Oh, they can block it alright...

On the other side of the coin, my company's WiFi has turned off using any Smartphone client to get to corporate e-mail (or any mail for that matter). We are Blackberry ONLY.

My iPhone at work I can only surf the web and use stocks, weather, etc. Mail doesn't work.

8. tritonj macrumors 6502a

Exchange servers support POP3 and IMAP as well, so as long as your school doesn't disable the protocols, you can access that way as well

9. joeconvert macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing.

The other bummer is I have seen that several student members of this forum have expressed the need for the improved VPN support. The wording also hints at this not working with the basic data plan....

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

That was my biggest worry. I'm wondering if that only applies to over EDGE/3G though. Maybe VPN over WiFi is capable.

11. iphonematt Guest

I talked to an IT admin at our school and they have forwarding disabled. I asked about enabling IMAP on the server and they refuse to do that to. They said once i have my iPhone 3G, bring it in and they will set it up for the exchange server.
    As for AT&T, if they do restrict Activesync to the enterprise plan, I will probably just bring in my school ID to show them this is not "corporate mail" and therefor it should be under the consumer plan. Plus my family has been on AT&T (cingular) and what ever other names it has ben since 1994 so they had better make me happy with all of the money they have made off of us.

12. joeconvert macrumors 6502

I guess we shall see. It isn't very hard to block the ports for ActiveSync and the VPN over the AT&T network. These 2 features have quite the telltales (even above and beyond the ports they are using).

So I guess if I go through with the upgrade I will be looking @ $30/month uptick for network usage parity with current EDGE plan.

I will say that one of the best things about moving to the iPhone last July was the lowering of my monthly cost after transitioning from a 3G Treo 750.

13. parkds thread starter macrumors regular

So does this mean people with the original iPhone with the 2.0 firmware will have to upgrade to an enterprise plan also?

14. tritonj macrumors 6502a

good luck with that one, i'd like to be a fly on the wall when you take your student ID in there, but i can tell you it wouldn't do any good, they would just politely explain it and then you'll leave frustrated.

but i don't think you will even have this issue.

15. semi5 macrumors newbie

I think that is just for people that use corporate accounts to purchase an iPhone.

16. c10v3 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that ActiveSync runs over a standard https(port 443) connection. I don't see how they could block that on the personal plan.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If it's restricted it'll be hacked. Period.

=)