No Add-Ins In Excel 2008?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by heads up, Jan 21, 2008.

1. heads up macrumors member

heads up

Are you kidding me?!
    There are absolutely no add-ins for Excel 2008 for mac!
    I really need the data analysis toolpak for school and work.

Does anybody know if it's possible to download this toolpak from somewhere and install it? I've tried looking and have come up with nothing so far.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. pooky macrumors 6502

Haven't used 2008, so I can't help you with getting that thing running, but I might be able to help you find some free software that does the same thing, depending on what functions you use.

Incidentally, I stopped using analysis toolpack in Excel after it gave me the wrong answer a few times. Seems there are some bugs that cause random arithmetic errors to crop up in excel's math engine. Don't know if 2008 is affected by this or not, since it's so new.

4. luffe macrumors newbie

I had the same surprise! As well as I have understood the add-ins are based on Visual Basic code and since Microsoft has stopped development of VB in office08 these functions have been dropped. :mad:

5. heads up thread starter macrumors member

heads up

The only thing I really need is the "Descriptive Statistics" function that's found in the Data Analysis Toolpak.

6. pooky macrumors 6502

Hmmm, just for descriptive stats, it's probably a bit pricey to get a real stats package. You can try R, which is free - the learning curve is steep, but there are lots of web sites devoted to how to accomplish things and the manual is very good.

http://www.r-project.org

7. heads up thread starter macrumors member

heads up

It's weird because the option for add-ins is still there if you go to tools>add-ins, but the list is empty. Why would Microsoft keep that in the list if there's no support for it?

8. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

9. bartelby macrumors Core

It's best not to question MS's reasoning at times.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is support for AppleScript Add-Ins (I think) so they would appear in that menu. Of course because you can't use AppleScript on Windows there will probably be very few, if not zero, add-ins written in AppleScript.

11. sarahrose macrumors newbie

12. Mac'n macrumors newbie

Possible cure for the add-in woe's...

I found this site that offered an add-in (free) to do a Loess...

I was disappointed to find that it was PC only... AND that Excel 2008 doesn't support VB... ARGH!...

Well in the help menu there is a suggestion to install a FREE version of StatPlus:Mac

Just went to the site and got my 'LE' copy. Haven't used it yet, going to try in a few min's (Please Please Please have Loess!).

Apparently there is a 'Pro' version that costs and a 'free trial offer' (30 days). Not sure if that means that the 'LE' version will expire (doesn't seem like it will, or at least it didn't say in the menu).

Give it a shot and post your experience, I think it may be an Apple response to the lack of Stat function in MS Excel, but I may be wrong.

Edit: DOH! should have follow'd Sararose's link, the StatPlus:Mac can be reach'd there as well...

13. adityashah1989 macrumors 6502

14. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

*bump*

I really need the "data analysis toolpak" for university... it seems it doesn't exist for Office 2011?

15. Darkhrse99 macrumors regular

So do I..