No admin pass for updates anymore?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 0dev, Nov 15, 2010.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I just did the latest batch of updates with Software Update, and call me crazy here, but I seem to remember it used to require an admin password to apply them, whereas now, it'll just do them right away.

Is Apple winding down security here? Surely you should need the admin password to update to 10.6.5?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I had to give my password on all three Macs I upgraded. Maybe you have entered your password shortly before in Software Update and it "remembered" you?

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Nope, haven't entered it in Software Update for months, and I can't see any kind of Software Update certificate in Keychain Access either.

Kinda worrying...

4. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

It's new in Snow Leopard. If you do the update through the Software Update app/prefpane, then (most of the time) no password is asked for. If you download the dmg file from Apple's support page and do the update "manually"... then a password will be asked for.

5. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Ahh, OK. Makes sense I guess, though I assume this only happens for admin accounts?

6. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

I believe that's true, yes.

Actually, i was just googling to find an informative link... but it seems very little official "documentation" exists. There are at least 3 threads in Apple Discussions about the subject... all still marked "unanswered".

Then there are these (from last Spring):
    http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1100891
    http://rixstep.com/1/2/20100524,00.shtml

[::shrug::]

7. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

So Software Update has a sub-process which has root without requiring a password? That really doesn't sound too secure to me.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think it partly depends on what is getting installed by the update. For me, when I did the 10.6.5 update I got prompted for my admin account to check for updates, but wasn't asked after that. For some updates it will also ask for my admin account again when it does the actual install. I run as a standard account though, so that may partly account for it.

9. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Yeah, from what I've read, you have to enter an admin password from a normal account, but from an admin account Software Update automatically runs another process which has root.

I think I might demote my main account to a normal user and make a separate one to use for admin stuff TBH.

10. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I think the first part you mention is a change in Snow Leopard. In Leopard, I can check for updates from my standard account, and if there's anything to install, it will ask for the admin user/password. With Snow Leopard, I have to enter the admin user/password before I can check for updates.

11. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I reckon that's so it can run the root process.

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

My memory agrees with that. I still have Leopard on my mini, though it mostly notifies me of updates through automatic checks so obviously it wouldn't ask for a password then. It just asks for a password when I go to install. Though I can't remember if that account runs as admin or standard user as it just acts as a media server.