no admin password? no problemo

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neverownedapc, Jul 24, 2008.

1. neverownedapc macrumors member

neverownedapc

recently, i bought a mbp off ebay and got a fairly good deal on it and of course i had to buy it from that one guy who didn't give me the admin password or any osx discs. anyway, i found something that allowed me to add a second admin (you basically trick the system to think it's being loaded for the first time) and gain access to delete the old admin as well as get access to loading those new programs you need. all this is done without losing anything you previously had on there and that is..............noice! here you go for those in need if not previously posted, enjoy:

To reset your OS X password without an OS X CD you need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot

2. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a
    brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
    * /sbin/mount -uw /
    * rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    * shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you
    login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re
    good to go again!

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Yup, this is an old trick, but works well i guess

If you need to make a new account for that exact purpose, it is useful

3. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

i'm glad i finally came across this on another site. searched on here a bunch and on some other sites and then it was like "blammo", done. i can't thank the guy enough who originally posted this on that that. figured i add it here for those that end up in the situation that i did. mmmmmmmmmm should be a sticky.

4. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Seriously, the guy who sold you the MBP is either a dumbass or stole it. Had he been smarter, he would have erased the entire HD so you wouldn't get his personal files.

Given the seller's very odd behavior, I think you should contact Apple to see if it's been stolen, then ask eBay for your money back. They usually give you your money back if you mistakenly bought a stolen item.

5. neverownedapc thread starter macrumors member

neverownedapc

understood, but i'm fine now since i did this and with all the software on it, i really don't care as i had tried to get a hold of the previous owner a few times since his name was in the mac. he didn't respond so i figured he doesn't care.