No Adobe Acrobat Distiller For Macintosh?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sal Collaziano, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

Is there some trick to getting Acrobat Distiller setup as a printer on Leopard? I need to open a PDF and print it to Distiller to decrease the file size.

While I'm at it, there's SUPPOSED to be some sort of Flash Printer driver that comes with Adobe Contribute CS3 that I can't figure out either. I used to use Flashpaper2 to convert PDFs to Flash.

The last thing I expected when switching to the Mac (from Windows) was to have problems with Adobe...

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

PDF creation is built into OSX, so you can save as PDF from any print dialog.
    Why not try opening it in Preview, then printing a PDF from there?

3. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

I tried that and used the Reduce File Size feature - and it worked well except for a photo that was in the original PDF - it was all very dark black and no longer with any integrity.. Is there some other way?

Thanks in advance...

4. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. There's a different way of doing it on the Mac. In Acrobat Professional, you just need to choose the Optimize PDF option - and work from there. :) Works perfectly...

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, but it's a little complicated. You need to create a ColorSync filter using the ColorSync Utility. You can control image sampling and compression. Takes a bit of experimenting, but once you come up with a filter that does what you want, you can add it to the print dialog box.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

7. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

If anyone has any more information on the quote below, I'd greatly appreciate your help. For this one reason alone, I cannot ditch Windows - and I really want to. So if anyone has any experience with converting PDFs to Flash using Adobe Contribute CS3, I'd really appreciate your help...

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Distiller ships with Acrobat Pro and handles what you need. It works just fine on Leopard - either drop the file onto the distiller window once you have set the settings you require (my preferred method), or print to the PDF printer widget. I use it many times per day -using CS3 on Leopard.

Whilst OS X supports printing to PDF directly, the settings available are rather more limited - if you're going to do a lot of it, Acrobat Pro is the way to go.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well I do obviously, so let me know what kind of help you need.

10. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

:p True.. Well.. I have a trial copy of Contribute CS3 and I just need to know the steps to converting a PDF to a Flash page. If you could explain it to me (and I can understand) I'll at least have a little confidence going into a purchase that I'll be able to perform the task I need to accomplish..

Thank you...

I installed Acrobat Pro and I don't see Distiller anywhere. I figured, like with Windows, it would be an option I could choose from when printing.. Was it automatically installed somewhere when I installed Acrobat Pro?

Thank you...

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought you were asking for help with PDF compression using ColorSync. This I can help with, if you need it. The only way I know to convert PDF to Flash is with Keynote.

12. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Okay.. I just tried opening a PDF with Keynote - to no avail. How do you do it?

Thank you..

Sal C.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You can drag a PDF file into any slide, so you need to start with a slide. Presumably you will want to set the slide background to white. Then you can export the slide to Flash.

14. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

I keep getting the following message and I no longer use any Adobe products. Basically, I have to okay on step 1, then cancel on step 2 which then takes me to the next pop up menu that allows me to Print to web receipts folder option. How can I fix this?

Attached Files:

15. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Check Print & Fax under System Preferences and if it's present, delete the entry for Adobe PDF 8.0.

16. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

That worked perfectly. Thank you very much for this.:D