No AirPlay fro OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by houssein31, Oct 11, 2014.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

I have an AirPlay speakers and I wanted to play music from my mac and I didn't find an option to stream my music through my speakers. When I click on the Airplay logo on the top of the screen I only saw the option to stream through my Apple Tv... Am I missing something? Is there a way to stream music through an AirPlay Speaker on a mac??

2. chabig macrumors 68040

The menu extra is only for streaming your Mac display to an AppleTV. To stream iTunes music, use the Airplay icon in the iTunes window title bar, next to the volume slider. To stream your system audio from any source, set your Airplay device as the output in Sound Preferences or hold down option and click on the volume menu extra.

3. houssein31 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!!! I knew that iTunes had airplay, but the "press option and click on the volume" I didn't know...so thanks

4. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Also, even if your not in iTunes, if you click on the volume symbol at the top of your screen whilst holding down the 'alt' key, it reveals all Airplay devices that are detected by your computer, then click on your airplay device and your sound will be directed to your speaker. Heres a screen shot of how I connect to my Bose speaker..

[​IMG]

5. satcomer, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

How old is your Mac? Plus do you know of the shareware Airfoil?