no airplay with mac

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by helveta, Apr 9, 2018.

1. helveta macrumors regular

I have two ATV's in my office, an atv1 and an atv2, with different names. I use them to do interactive presentations with clients and they've generally worked fine. I recently found I can no longer use airplay from my mac on either one. Airplay from my iphone works fine. I'm using a macbook air with High Sierra v. 10.13.3. I've checked my firewall settings. Block all incoming connections is not checked, automatically allow built in software and automatically allow signed software are both checked. All are on the same network and signed into icloud.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

Assuming your MBA is 2011 or newer? If older, Airplay is not supported.

Airplay relies on Bonjour which is a non-routable local discovery protocol. If you are on a different subnet than the ATV, Airplay won't work. In larger offices, WiFi and Ethernet, or even different WiFi SSID or Access Points might be on different subnets. Take a look at the IP address on your Mac and compare it to that of the ATVs. Compare the router IP address, should be the same on both. If it is a different router address, you are trying to cross subnets (you are on different networks) and Bonjour won't find the ATVs.

3. helveta thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much, that got me there. We only have one wireless network, on an Airport Express I set up just for this purpose. Saw the yellow light on it so I updated the firmware, restarted the router and now everythings back to normal. Thank again.

4. helveta thread starter macrumors regular

The next time I tried today I couldn''t connect again. I checked and both ATV and the mac were connected to the wireless network. Rebooted the airport express, ATV2 and my mac. All are running the most recent software. Checked the settings in security. Help!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2018 ---
    OK, its working now. I changed the router settings to manual for radio mode and changed the 5ghz channel setting to manual and left the 2.4 ghz channel on automatic. I don't know if this is a permanent fix and I'm not sure how channels are assigned so if someone has another suggestion I'm open.

5. helveta thread starter macrumors regular

Happened again the next time I tried to use airplay. Found McAffee had installed an updated version of their software and the firewall setting had set both my ethernet and wireless networks to "public". Changed them to "home and office" and now it works.

6. chabig macrumors 603

7. helveta thread starter macrumors regular

I did at one point and somehow it came back without my knowledge, that's why I didn't look there first. I'm required to have an approved anti-virus program for work so I'll try to live with it until it does something I can't fix.

8. chabig macrumors 603

Yuck. All modern OSes, even Windows, have built in defenses. It boggles my mind that some people still trust outside vendors more than the people who designed and built it to “protect” a computer.