No AirPort Card Installed...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wasabeeguy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. wasabeeguy macrumors newbie

Ok, I've searched high and low for a solution to this problem... One day i decided to turn my MBP off for the night, and in the morning it brings up something around the terms of "... AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used..." So what i tried was going into safe mode and replacing that extension with the safe mode one, no dice... Then I decided to do the same thing except with the parent extension of that which is IO80211Family.kext and I now get the same error about that as i do the airport! So to sum up, i get two errors at startup (while logged in) saying "System extension cannot be used", therefore, no wireless connectivity :mad: . I've tried just about everything else to fix it too such as reseting the SMC and PRAM but those too have been rendered useless. The only thing i haven't tried is reinstalling OS X.

Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 4gb, running OS X 10.5.7

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

3. wasabeeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

explain?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It is an option when installing Leopard to save your old data.

5. wasabeeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

its also strange that while in safe mode the airport works... why is this?

6. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I would assume its because in safe mode it boots with the default system files. Just a thought.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yes, a system file not used in safe mode has been corrupted in your installation.

8. wasabeeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

so what makes no sense to me then is why didnt the duplication of those two extensions not work?

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Call Apple? They do have free phone support..if you have AC.

10. wasabeeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

im gonna try the archive and install method tomorrow... ill post the results that way if other people have this issue they can use it too

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If in Safe Mode it works, then Archive and Install will definitely fix the problem.

12. wasabeeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

do u know if there is a guide to do this because i cant afford to screw this up

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I really don't mean to come across as a jerk but honestly guy, you shouldn't be so dependent on the forum for every little answer and you shouldn't expect the forum to do all your footwork for you that you could get from a simple Google search. That's what I did to get the guide that you're asking for on Apple's own website. I just Googled. "Archive and Install OS X". Someone gave you answer on what to do, just use part of the answer to Google the guide you're looking for. You'll get helped a lot faster when you help yourself. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710

14. wasabeeguy thread starter macrumors newbie

15. SunilRaja macrumors newbie

I just installed the 10.5.8 via automatic software update and the next time I switched on my macbook air no wi-fi. The aiport signal was empty and it shows "No Airport Card Installed". Did you reinstall OS?