No Airport Card Installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bvickers223, Feb 11, 2010.

1. bvickers223 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, admitted Mac-Noob here -

I just bought a used MacBook Pro 1,1 with SL installed, and was experiencing the apparently common issue of bad wifi connectivity, and was trying some of the workarounds available on the web.

I read one possible fix involving deleting some files from the 'SystemConfiguration' folder. Well, apperently that should be done from the 'User>Preferences>SystemConfiguration' folder, and not the 'System>Preferences>SystemConfiguration' folder.

So when I rebooted my computer, not only does it show 'No Airport Card Installed' where it would normally show my wi fi connection, I cannot access the 'Network' icon in the 'System Preferences' menu. The icon is present, but clicking on it does nothing - it just says "loading network..." and nothing happens and I have to force quit the application because it is not responding.

So, to sum it up.... HELP!

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Time for a clean install of the OS apparently.

3. bvickers223 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

If I do not have the OS disk is there any alternative to buying a new copy of it?

BTW - Have read related posts on this board, and other boards, and have tried all the possible fixes suggested and nothing is working to this point.

4. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

first check out :apple:>system preferences>Network and see if everything is kosher.
    Also, what kind of router do you have? It may be the router not liking the mac.

5. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Apple might be able to ship you a replacement disc for a small fee. It's not like you have to re-buy the OS licence, so might do it on the cheap. ;)

6. bvickers223 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't go to the Network icon - clicking on it does nothing... it just tries to load and times out.

7. bvickers223 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I am using a wifi hotspot, but that should be irrelevant because it was working fine until I deleted those files, now the computer doesn't even know it has an airport card.

8. bvickers223 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still having this problem!

BUMP

I also wanted to add that my macbook also does not recognize an ethernet connection. Is there some place that I can download network drivers? :confused:

9. bvickers223 thread starter macrumors newbie

...so much for the mac community being so much more "friendly and helpful." :rolleyes:

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The easiest thing to do is to reinstall the system. If you don't have the install discs, go click on Spotlight at the top right corner and type "Disk Utility". You want to repair permissions and see if that works. Also, the .plists you want to delete are NOT found in the user folder. The correct location is: Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences>SystemConfiguration and you want to trash com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and network.plist.

11. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Open your TRASH BIN and select the deleted files. Right click on them and select "put back".

12. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Also, you can get a new SL disc for $29 and you DO NOT need to own the previous OS for a clean install.