No anodized gold options like the iPhone and MacBook?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Yr Blues, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

It's not like it looks anything like real 18 carat gold.

2. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

No. That would completely destroy the market for the Edition Watch.

People are buying the Edition to show off. If you could buy a gold look watch for $600 it would make the Edition less attractive.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You must never have seen an iPhone (or iPad) in gold. Actual Au and anodized gold aluminum look nothing alike. Not even remotely close. Anodized gold aluminum a subtle light coloring closer to Champagne. No one could ever mistake a gold anodized aluminum :apple:Watch for an Edition.

To the OP Apple may offer this next year. Could be with about 64 SKUs they have enough on the table as of now. Could also be that the small frame and subtle color don't work that well on the wrist.

4. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

I hear you. Space Gray is pretty subtle, though … compared to silver. It's hard to tell the difference on the new MacBook.

5. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Trying to picture it, I think a gold sport would look kind of odd. Edit: would like to see a mock up of one though.

I wish they would make a Watch watch with gold plating. I think the gold ones are beautiful. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce one in the future.

6. Julien, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Gold Plating is the low life scum bag of the fashion/jewelry industry. It will NEVER happen from Apple. No chance and NO way will Apple ever release a gold plated watch.

Besides the above a gold plated watch would direct displace the Edition and total devalue it.

7. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

There're many watches in the $500 to $2000 range that use gold plating from brands that ordinary people would call high end, Burberry, Gucci, Movado.

Meanwhile, Apple sells gold tone aluminum, how is that any better philosophically? People couldn't believe the rumors, it was not Apple-like. Now that Apple does it, it's just how it is.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Because anodized gold aluminum does't imitate real Au in any way. It is a totally different color, texture and look that has nothing to do with the sold Au Edition (and this is if Apple ever makes an anodized gold aluminum).

Saying that anodized gold aluminum looks like Au is like saying Space Gray looks like black carbon. Not even close.

If you want a gold plated :apple:Watch there will be numbers companies that will offer gold plating for the SS :apple:Watch.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

there are rumors that apple will introduce new casings for the 4th quarter just in time for the holiday season. i believe there's a big chance we will see the champagne/gold apple watch.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Possible but the rumors are for an even more expensive :eek: Platinum or Palladium Edition type.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8174159/platinum-apple-watch-gold-strap