no apple logo on startup...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pinkie, Nov 4, 2007.

1. pinkie macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm relavtively new to Macs having bought my first iMac a few months ago. It's the 24 inch, 2.16 ghz older intel c2d white model.

I tried searching the forums but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Ever since I got my iMac in June, I have never seen the gray apple logo and the spinning wheel on startup. Ever. I always see a black screen with white text. The text seems to be basically describing the startup processes before loading into the Finder.
    (It's just like verbose mode, except instead of a white screen with black text, I see a black screen with white text.)

I should also add that I was using the factory installed OS for the first few months (I did not reinstall it myself upon receiving my computer, but I did do an erase & install after reading here that the factory install takes up more HD space that you need with the languages & all). Even with the factory install, I have never seen the gray apple logo.

My question is, how do I get the gray apple logo & the spinning wheel to be shown instead? (if there is a way to do this).

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm just curious. =) Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Sounds like verbose mode to me, try this

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020212090451983

3. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

In the terminal type

Code:
    nvram boot-args
    What do you get back. Anything?