No Apple TV iOS 8 beta?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Sky Blue, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

I doubt it - If there is a new App Store they need developers to start making apps. Hard to do without introducing new API's etc. Plus there isn't any new hardware to really develop for anyhow. Word that I have heard is that such a feature would need new hardware to handle extra features.

If there is a beta, it's likely not ready yet is all

3. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

i was wondering the same thing. I saw it was pulled from iOS 7 SDK as well... not sure whats going on.

4. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

AppleTV has normally had updates that are in sync with mobile devices. The fact that there haven't been any updates or really any mention outside of peer Airplay playback tells me that there is more coming for AppleTV that isn't ready to be disclosed to the general public.

This basically means for the short term more partnership models for AppleTV updates, but there is obviously a big update coming that isn't really developer ready yet.

I'd imagine by this time next year AppleTV and mystery lifestyle watch health device will be out and expanding things out even further will be the focus for next year.

Pure speculation, but previous iOS's having AppleTV builds and this one not seems to speak volumes to me.

The changes in AppleTV iOS probably has more to do with centralizing TV provider authentication, GUI alignment with the rest of the Core OS family, and enabling peer to peer Airplay. None of which is something that would really directly require open App Store development yet.

5. Sky Blue thread starter Guest

Sky Blue

My thoughts exactly. This combined with heavy rumors of a new Apple TV, plus Cue saying that the Apple TV will "evolve in 2014". Points to something happening, but probably not till Sept/Oct.

6. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

There is definitely an evolution to all of this.

They can play this more close to the belt

7. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

even if they release a new apple tv the third gen is still going to be supported, they won't leave millions of people totally behind

8. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

JoeShades what I expect to happen is two fold. One revised user interface and better authentication handling for cable providers (Single Sign On). This will probably be supported in current hardware, and shouldn't really strain the hardware.

I expect broader adoption of third party apps, voice control, and gaming to require new hardware and be limited on initial release.

The current AppleTV is very very powerful for a dumb box that doesn't do much more then read an XML feed, and play content from authenticated sources. So the next question is how do you bring things up a notch. Thats where the requirement for new hardware becomes more evident.

The current AppleTV is what 2 or 3 years old now?

9. Sky Blue thread starter Guest

Sky Blue

New software with current functionality intact? sure. App Store? i hope not on v3. I'm hoping the new box is pretty beefy (a7 at least), so it can pull off some nice games.

10. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Agreed A7 would be the most ideal. Especially since it's the baseline for Metal support.

I don't dabble in gaming development at all, but it looks like it's a heavily optimized layer that is thinner then OpenGL built EXPLICITLY for A7. Built EXPLICITLY for A7 goes a long way based on conversations I've had with people that try to use straight OpenGL and find that theres far far far too many extensions based on hardware implementation to make it easy to optimize for a single set of devices.

Metal isn't necessarily a "Today we enjoy" feature unless Apple gets an A7 device inexpensive and accessible to everyone. I believe the AppleTV is the best choice