no AppleCare for MP on eBay?

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
524
0
i ordered my Mac Pro at Apple Canada store, with student discount last week.
while waiting for it to arrive, im trying to find a Apple Care Protection Plan on eBay. there is none.
is this because the MP is so new or is there any other reason?
by the way, the people that list AppleCare, they always list them with a number like M8851LL/A --> what does this mean? is it a specific series of AppleCare that come with a specific line of product? how do i know or where can i find that number for my MP?

sorry if any question is too obvious for some of you. im first time Mac owner
 

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
10,090
21
UK
with the higher edu store in the uk and us you get a free three year warrenty one year phone support, which is nearly applecare.


if you dident get that for free at least wait a year as you can buy it any time, why spend the exact same amount now that you could spend in a years time.
 

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
4,369
15
AR
Hector said:
with the higher edu store in the uk and us you get a free three year warrenty one year phone support, which is nearly applecare.


if you dident get that for free at least wait a year as you can buy it any time, why spend the exact same amount now that you could spend in a years time.
You do not receive the AppleCare protection plan with purchases from the EDU store in the U.S. However, it's discounted and sold seperately.
 

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
4,369
15
AR
phuong said:
i ordered my Mac Pro at Apple Canada store, with student discount last week.
while waiting for it to arrive, im trying to find a Apple Care Protection Plan on eBay. there is none.
is this because the MP is so new or is there any other reason?
by the way, the people that list AppleCare, they always list them with a number like M8851LL/A --> what does this mean? is it a specific series of AppleCare that come with a specific line of product? how do i know or where can i find that number for my MP?

sorry if any question is too obvious for some of you. im first time Mac owner
It is my understanding that you may use a Power Mac AppleCare protection plan retail kit for the Mac Pro.
 

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
307
0
Try searching for Power Mac AppleCare... this should work fine for your Mac Pro.

edit: already been said, oops
 

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
948
0
Ok, here's a stupid question....why don't you buy AppleCare from Apple? You get your EDU discount on it, so it's cheaper than list price. I'd be pretty suspicious of someone selling AppleCare cheaper than the EDU price on ebay....it's probably a scam.
 

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
10,090
21
UK
joshuawaire said:
You do not receive the AppleCare protection plan with purchases from the EDU store in the U.S. However, it's discounted and sold seperately.
higher edu.
 

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
3,809
0
mmmcheese said:
Ok, here's a stupid question....why don't you buy AppleCare from Apple? You get your EDU discount on it, so it's cheaper than list price. I'd be pretty suspicious of someone selling AppleCare cheaper than the EDU price on ebay....it's probably a scam.
thats not right. I used to get applecare on ebay all the time. I used to use it on all my machines and I never had a problem (If the number does not work you can easily file a pp complaint because the item was not delivered as described).

that being said I do not really recommend buying it on ebay unless you plan to keep your machine forever. If you want to transfer the warranty or cash it in, it is very difficult using your ebay email as a proof of purchase. Apple does not typically take these because no one on ebay is an authorized apple reseller. So this makes it hard to sell a machine with ebay applecare. So I just pay a little bit extra and get it from apple so that even if I lose my receipt I can make them look it up in their system and transfer it quickly.
 

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
10,090
21
UK
as in you access it via your campus network, not the one you just put a school into.
 

coal

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
135
0
Portland, OR
mmmcheese said:
Ok, here's a stupid question....why don't you buy AppleCare from Apple? You get your EDU discount on it, so it's cheaper than list price. I'd be pretty suspicious of someone selling AppleCare cheaper than the EDU price on ebay....it's probably a scam.
Stick with a seller who has a long history and substantial feedback and there is no reason to refrain from purchasing AppleCare on ebay.

I've purchased AppleCare multiple times and have had no problems, unless you consider saving hundreds of dollars a problem.

As to the OPs question, you may have to check back frequently and wait for a good price. You have a year to add the AppleCare, so check ebay often until you find the seller with the best deal.

A quick search found this seller with no bids ending soon: http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Mac-AppleCare-Protection-Plan-M8850LL-A_W0QQitemZ260028199894QQihZ016QQcategoryZ51036QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
524
0
ah, i see.

one more question. the ones that are sold on eBay are M8850LL/A however the one that is sold at Apple store is M8850LL/B

see this sheet: http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/AppleCareProtPlanFacts.pdf

also, in Apple store they say "AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (w/ or w/o Display)" while in that sheet it is "Mac Pro and Power Mac (includes coverage for an Apple display)"

and what if i have two displays..
i am more confused now :confused:
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
Buying AppleCare on eBay is fine. I bought it for my late 20" iMac Core Duo for $30 under EDU price. Which enabled me to get even more profit.

By all means if it is cheaper get it on eBay. And its been said, the PowerMac AppleCare will work for it. Good luck!
 

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
810
0
I'd like some details on this as well as I plan to purchase my Mac Pro within the week. If I can get AppleCare cheaper than the $199 U.S. University store then I'm game.

Plan to purchase a 2.66ghz Mac Pro with a 23" ACD (unless a 24" is introduced this week.. highly unlikely).

So which item number am I looking for and all that jazz? I don't plan on cashing it in so having that receipt for that isn't a big deal.