Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Userx12

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
Hello,

This post has multiple questions. I'm presenting them as organized as possible, so please be clear about which questions in my post your answers are applying to. Thanks

Two weeks ago I updated my 5C from iOS 7 to 8.3. It was over the air from my phone. No iTunes, no clean install… Just a regular update.

I was having several minor glitches like reminders not loading in the notification screen, or the home screen flashing on and off when I went to an app, or Siri acting up a little. So I decided to do a Restore iPhone, i.e. clean install 8.3 again.

So I hooked it up to iTunes and did a "Restore iPhone."

At the end of the process I restored my phone with my most recent backup.

Then it started syncing my phone to the computer. iTunes warned me that 25% of my notes from the notes app backed up on my computer did not match what was on my phone and the ones on my computer would be changed. Seen that i already realized that not all of the data on my phone was there, i stopped the sync just in case it wiped out data on my iTunes backup.

My problem is:

1. None of my third-party apps are on my phone.

2. None of my music is on my phone.

3. My books etc in iBooks were there at first but now are gone.

Should I have just let it sync?

My apps & ibookswere also backed up on iCloud but I don't see them when I go in to iCloud on my phone now. Maybe that would be some help somehow?

The iPhone world is a little bit new to me FYI.

Thank you

mgroot

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Yeah, if you stopped syncing it makes sense that the apps and content haven't been moved over to the phone yet.

Userx12

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
Yeah, if you stopped syncing it makes sense that the apps and content haven't been moved over to the phone yet.
Thanks. I thought it might be as simple as that.

So if I go ahead and sync, it's not gonna change the data on my computer? That's what the warning was about…

Userx12

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
I downloaded some new apps in the last few days, is there going to be any problem with the sync?

In other words can I just plug it into iTunes and hit sync and then I'll get everything back onto my phone and what I've got new will stay?

mgroot

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Not quite, stuff that's new on your phone and not in your backup will disappear. Restoring from backup overwrites everything on the phone.

I'm not quite sure what's happening with the notes, maybe someone else can help you with that. When I add a note it syncs to my computer so I have no idea why the ones on your computer are different

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.