No AT&T Subsidy, Can I Cancel Contract Without Paying ETF?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by larry2375, Jan 7, 2016.

1. larry2375 macrumors newbie

I have 4 lines and they are all on a 2 year contract. With AT&T not renewing contracts and no phone subsidy, can I cancel without paying the ETF? No incentive for me to stay with them any longer. Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only if you have any of those lines on unlimited data plan then you can leave ETF free.
    If not you have to wait till your contract expires or pay the ETF.
    Or have another carriers promo cover your etf fee in order to switch to them.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Would have been cool if they cancelled everyone's current contracts as soon as they stop accepting new ones.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

And essentially just lose the money on the subsidies they provided in lieu of those contracts? That wouldn't make much sense.

5. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Not until your contracts expire. They aren't issuing NEW contracts.

6. larry2375 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't have UDP so I'm stuck with At&t. Btw I unlocked my iPhone 6s
    from reading the threads. Unfortunately the other 3 phones on my plan that we got before my 6s wasn't able to unlock. Glad to have my unlocked 6s but kind of useless at the moment. Mahalo for the heads up.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

To really find out OP, why didn't you just call them up instead of asking us and wasting time ?

8. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

You might be wasting your time. Sprint announced as well they are going away from subsidized phones. That means the only major carrier that will still do subsidized phones and 2 year contracts is Verizon and I'm sure they will be moving away from that option shortly. It's just the way the industry is now.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe Verizon stopped offering that as an option to new customer a little while ago.

10. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Oh ok, I knew they were planning on going away from it, but didn't know its already started. I have both Verizon and AT&T so its good info! Won't change much for me, hopefully once all my phones are out of contract and I just pay full price up front the actual month to month bill will drop a lot