No audible sounds from iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wukovits, Feb 24, 2010.

1. wukovits macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G that had a defective dock connector port. I replaced the whole assembly (including mic+antenna) and now I have no sound (ringers, keyboard, etc) on my device. I checked the switch (orange dot) and I've performed a soft reset and a complete restore, with no luck.

If I plug in headphones, I hear everything fine through the headphones themselves. Unplugged, back to no sound.

Ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also, if there might be another part that can use replacement, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Vic

2. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

Looks like your Dock Connector is faulty.

You sure that the Connector are properly connected and you did not damage anything on the board.

I would suggest seeking professional Repair if above is OK.

-Ganesh

3. wukovits thread starter macrumors newbie

A faulty dock connector? You mean the new one I just put in?

Also, in another forum where I posted the question, they posted a link to this iPhone logic board schematic:
    http://www.4shared.com/file/226465521/bb136daa/pmiPhone_boardtopBIG.html

Looking at what they labeled, none of the chips that deal with audio are anywhere near where the dock connector connects to the logic board. Considering that there are a total of 6 connections before you get to replace the dock connector, and all of them are seemingly easy to disconnect and reconnect, can you provide more detail on where I might need to look?

I'll look forward to your reply or any other suggestions anyone might have.

4. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

Dock Connector is Faulty

If you are able to charge and sync your iPhone fine, then probably you got yourself a bad Dock Connector with the faulty SpeakerPhone.

-Ganesh

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

speaker

no the dock connector is most likely not the issue. I bet you had it powered on when you took it apart. you cannot do this it will blow the proximity sensor when you start plugging the cables back in. before you try to change it try to plug in your ear phones several times. they have a tendancy to think they are plugged in when they are not. also make sure the ear phone plug has no dust in it. you can cut a Q-tip down to size to get in there or blow it out with compressed air. make sure you get the air with no moisture!!!!!!! if you can charge and sync it is not the dock assembly. unless you are talking about the loud speaker then it is the dock connector. the last 10 I have purchased I have gotten 4 bad ones so you could have also.

6. wukovits thread starter macrumors newbie

I had the device powered off when I disassembled it.

I'm thinking it is a bad part, and have a replacement on the way. I'll post my findings once it is replaced.

Thanks for the input!

7. uuufo macrumors newbie

did the replacement part work? I have a similar issue and was wondering if it was fixed by replacing the dock assembly. I have sound through the headphone jack, and dock connector, but nothing through the speaker,,, Thanks!