No Audio Devices Found in Boot Camp Vista on new Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shinderhizzle84, Jun 29, 2010.

1. shinderhizzle84 macrumors member

Hello! SO, I just got a new Mac Mini today (it's the newly released model) and I am super thrilled with it, but I've got one major issue.

I'm a HUGE gamer, so the first thing I did once I loaded this new computer up was install my copy of Windows Vista on it using Boot Camp Assistant. The installation went completely smoothly, so I then proceeded to install the Boot Camp Drivers onto my new and fresh and clean Windows Installation.

I restarted the computer and everything seemed to be in working order...but there are two relatively MAJOR problems:

One, the one that is the most pressing, is the sound. When I started up after installing all of the boot camp drivers, I couldn't get a single audio device to get recognized by my Vista Home Premium installation. I tried disabling and re-disabling other drivers in the Device Manager, and when I try to download new drivers for the one audio device that has an error sign next to it, Vista claims that it is already updated to the latest drivers, so it will not install new ones. I even went onto cirrus' website to download their official drivers, and the same thing happened.

This is the biggest problem, since because I've got no audio devices, every single game that I own is fooled into thinking my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the program...so I can't play any of my games, basically rendering this new shiny purchase completely useless.

My OTHER problem, and this is less pressing because my Mac Mini DOES have a wireless adapter (although the reason this is a problem is because the only wireless router in my house is a cheap piece of crap and has a terrible signal all over the place), but the ethernet DOES NOT WORK on vista, either. The EXACT SECOND that I plug an ethernet cable into the ethernet port of my Mac Mini, the ENTIRE COMPUTER FREEZES, forcing me to do a hard-reboot of my mac mini by pressing and holding down on the power button on the back of the mac mini.

However, unlike the sound issue, under Device Manager, there are no problems listed next to any of the internet adapters.

How can I go about fixing whatever the hell is wrong with my computer?

Thanks so much in advance! :D :p

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Does this happen under OS X too? If so, I'd return it to Apple as a hardware problem.

B

3. shinderhizzle84 thread starter macrumors member

No. Neither of these issues occur under the Mac OS X portion of my hard drive.

4. secondchancedad macrumors newbie

the correct windows drivers are included on one of your Mac OS discs that come with the system. (I cant remember which one) They are all specific to your MAC hardware... So what actually happens when you first install windows is that Windows loads generic device drivers for many of the hardware. Because your specific hardware did not exist when your version of windows came out its unable to load anything for some of your devices. When you put the disc in and follow the procedure for installing the drivers you will get a perfect installation, your display will show color and depth as it does in mac osx and you will have sound. If you install Windows 7 ultimate you will not have this problem as its huge library of drivers includes everything you need.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unless the OP didn't mean the above, the drivers have been installed.

Have you tried running the Apple Software Updater to get the latest drivers?

Since it doesn't happen in OS X it's unlikely to be hardware, but it is still possible.

B