No Audio for mid 2009 Macbook Pro on Samsung LED using 3.5mm Toslink

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by go0sebumpz, Sep 22, 2013.

1. go0sebumpz macrumors newbie

I don't get any audio on my Samsung LED. I get video using a mini dvi to HDMI to my samsung and video is fine, ive tried using a 3.5mm to RCA but no sound.. SO i purchased a 3.5mm (6ft Toslink to Mini Toslink Cable), but get no sound. Here is a screenshot for what i tried to toggle on my macbook pro.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

any idea? for my tv settings there isnt anythign where I can change my sound output. its set at tv speakers. I also see the red light coming out of the jack. It also reads the optical link on my macbook.

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Normally, on TVs, the TOSLINK jack is the output (for connecting to external receiver), not the input. Just like on newer MacBook Pros.
    Or does your Samsung also have a digital audio in?

3. go0sebumpz thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that this 3.5mm toslink would work with my mbp directly connected to my TV to my headphone jack. There isn't a digital audio in on my samsung.. any help?

4. go0sebumpz thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump, can anyone help me out here? I've bought a 3.5mm to RCA and 3.5mm to toslink... much to no avail... I don't want to waste more money on cables that aren't going to work with my TV.. my toslink has a red light coming out of the jack and it also reads the optical cable in my MBP.

5. priitv8, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68020

Do you have the user guide for your TV set? What connections does it have in the first place? It seems to me you are trying to interconnect two digital outputs (toslink input does not emit red light!), which by definition is not supposed to work for your problem setting.
    You see, the outputs and inputs are also labelled as such. You should be looking for a connector named PC/HDMI Audio In or similar:
    3.5mm In for HDMI 4 or VGA
    [​IMG]
    RCA In for HDMI 1
    [​IMG]
    RCA In for HDMI 4, 3.5mm In for VGA
    [​IMG]

6. go0sebumpz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply!

I do have TV user guide but it doesn't describe any audio input/output options from what it seems. My connections don't share any input with my HDMI ports like the pictures you've shown above so I don't think I can connect any 3.5mm to RCA. The plug I have does show a red light digital audio (optical) toslink cable, but not sure if it shares any connection with a hdmi port on my tv. I have 3 HDMI ports on my TV. My TV doesn't seem to have any of the available options as the pictures above. To be specific this is the TV i have

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40F5500AFXZA

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

From Samsung's spec sheet on that page:

Inputs & Outputs
    1 (Shared with Component) Composite (AV)
    1 DVI Audio Input (Mini Jack)
    3 HDMI Inputs
    1 Ethernet
    1 Component
    1 Audio Out (Mini Jack)
    1 Digital Audio Out (Optical)
    2 USB 2.0 Ports
    1 RF In (Terrestrial/Cable Input)
    RS232C (AV Control)
    1 IR Out

It seems to have a mini jack for DVI Audio In. You have to check, if it can be reassigned to any of the HDMI inputs. If not, you need to connect your Mac to a DVI to be able to have sound via separate audio in. Or, find a dual (mDP+USB) HDMI adapter, that will inject audio to HDMI cable.
    Like this: http://tinyurl.com/pvvqrjp

8. go0sebumpz thread starter macrumors newbie

I've connected my hdmi to the HDMI/DVI port which is HDMI 3, connected the toslink to my MBP , and checked the settings and nothing. Is there a specific way I can connect this port to go with it? I'm trying not to spend 25 dollars to purchase that adapter to combine hdmi audio with the usb, but if that's the last resort then I suppose I have to work with it.... What cable do I need to connect my mac to the DVI? Would I have to get the item you posted from mono price?

9. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

If you are using Toslink you are connecting two outputs together.

This is from priitv8's above post:
    The optical connector on the TV is output only.

Use a Mini Jack to Mini Jack cable, and make sure to select the correct analog output on your Mac (press Alt and click on the speaker icon on the menu bar, this brings up a selection menu).