No audio on Windows 10, EFI installation, MBP mid 2010

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AmbientChaos, Oct 22, 2014.

1. AmbientChaos macrumors member

AmbientChaos

I've successfully installed Windows Technical Preview alongside Yosemite on my MacBook Pro 13" mid 2010, in EFI mode. No BIOS emulation + SSD means boot times are really fast.

I installed in EFI mode just to see if it would work. I knew audio wouldn't work, but I did not expect to actually be able to boot windows on this MBP in EFI mode without having to delete problematic drivers (which there were none). So now that I'm here, I'm trying to find a fix. All the solutions I found were geared towards owners of newer Macs. The few 2010 MBP owners on the internet seem not to have found a solution either.

In the long shot that someone got things to work but never shared a solution online, is there any?

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

3. AmbientChaos thread starter macrumors member

AmbientChaos

To get Boot Camp drivers to install I used a similar solution, running the installer via Command Prompt, using "msiexec /i BootCamp.msi".

Seeing as you made no mention of it did you install Windows using EFI mode?

I'm fairly certain that Audio works out-of-the-box on a regular Boot Camp install on this MBP. The issue I have is unique to a EFI Boot (non Boot Camp) installation of Windows.

4. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

No, I installed non EFI, standard. The only advantage I see you have with the EFI install will be that you can use the AHCI disk drivers, which have no huge impact because SATA is limited to 3GB on your and my system anyways.

5. AmbientChaos thread starter macrumors member

AmbientChaos

Yeah, the only benefits were those you mentioned (plus really fast booting and a sense of satisfaction)

Although, I was under the impression that AHCI drivers meant TRIM support as well?

Regardless, after updating audio drivers via Windows Update it's now in a reboot loop albeit a very fast one. I think I'm going to install it the normal way now. At least I got a taste of the fast boot times and no flashing cursor that newer Mac owners get in EFI mode. It's pretty nice.

6. macenied, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

You will have TRIM support with the IDE driver as well and you will see a disk performance decrease about 10-20% compared to AHCI.

I benchmarked the performance so that I know but I do not really feel the difference.

The MacBook Pro mid 2010 13" is a great laptop when it's upgraded with a SSD and some RAM. I just don't like Apples artifical restrictions in the EFI/BIOS.

7. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I have 10 preview running on a Dell core i7 Haswell laptop right now, not dared to run it on any of my Mac systems I use full time yet. Looking good but lots of the wifi section is pretty messed up in the current build 9860, wifi breaks on battery power yet stable plugged into the mains.

A 2010 you should be able to install in legacy mode instead of EFI and enable ahci by modding the mbr using the ahci enabler app and get your sound functional. Though bootcamp control panel in windows may possibly be broken as the Intel rst driver has to be 11.3 or higher and I can't be sure of the 2010 supporting it cos it's been a while since I modded one.