No audio on WMV files played on quicktime

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NickL382, Dec 28, 2008.

1. NickL382 macrumors newbie

Installed flip4mac, I can see video fine but the sound is not there at all. Should I find out if there is a specific codec I need ?

2. x s macrumors newbie

Without answering the question "why doesn't it work", I'd say: try VLC, it usually handles most multimedia containers. (tip: even FLV videos downloaded from YouTube etc.)

3. NickL382 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I downloaded VLC however, it seems that this program is only for streaming video. These videos are downloaded as WMV's to my brand new MacBook Pro. Anyone know why it won't work? how to make it work?

4. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

VLC plays everything and no it is not just for streaming video. Flip4mac works fine on my machine for playing wmvs in QT. Try installing perian, may be it helps...

5. NickL382 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. So I've installed VLC and tried running the movie, it plays but no sound. I've installed Perian, and the movie still has no sound in QT.

What is going on?

the movies are from the columbia video network

6. x s macrumors newbie

Either the movies do not contain the sound (which may be stored in a seperate audio file, which is unusual but possible), or it is corrupt. Can you provide us with the movie, so that we can check it out?

7. NickL382 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the link

http://www5.cvn.columbia.edu:8080/viewpreview.php

scroll down to "ELEN E 6010 Systems Biology: Design Principles for Biological Circuits"

You can download or try to view in the webbrowser

8. x s macrumors newbie

See attached screenshot... might have to do something with it :cool:

Attached Files: