No Audio Output after a SSD Installation iMac Mid-2011 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Just1nCase, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Just1nCase macrumors member

First of all, sorry for another post from me. With a big project like installing a new SSD, there is always chances running into annoying issues in this case my audio output for my internal speakers are not working.

I've tried using the Apple Hardware Test to confirm whether there's any issues, but it didn't encounter into any issue. I've reseted my PRAM and still no audio from my audio output. My OS is up to date. So, I'm running out of ideas. Is it a hardware problem? Am I missing anything? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Also, the startup Apple chime works. Not sure whether that's an indication that my speakers work and audio output is working, but just to note.

The following are just screenshots of what I'm looking at right now (My JayBird Freedom are my bluetooth headset that I'm currently using for audio):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

What are the Sound settings in your System Preferences? The bluetooth headphones would have to be de-selected, or turned off. Make sure the internal speakers aren't set to "Mute." Is anything plugged into the Audio Out on the back of the iMac?

You can also check your speaker configuration in "Audio Midi Setup" found in your Utilities folder. (Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Setup)

3. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Even with the bluetooth headphones disconnected, there is no option of me to select internal speakers as a output setting in my sound preference. Nothing is plugged at the Audio Out. And it is not muted.

I've tried Audio Midi Setup, but I don't see any option for the internal speaker sound options.

I'm starting to think it might be a loose cable inside. I'll double check my cables again. I remember the I/O cable (that connects to the logic board) being a tad loose, so hopefully that might be issue.

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I have to assume the same. Based on the tests you've done and the screen shots I'd go back in and check for any loose or unplugged audio cables. If you find nothing, I'd maybe pull the SSD and test with the old HDD and verify its not something wonky with the SSD.

5. macthefork macrumors 6502

Before pulling the Hardware apart, check out this link. Apparently this happens from time to time, and some things, such as pushing a audio plug into and out of the audio jack on the back of the iMac reset the "switch" from digital to analog, allowing the internal speakers to work. Some even had luck with simply putting their mac to sleep and awakening it a few times. There's other suggestions that worked for some, too.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4277327?start=0&tstart=0

Better to check the easy stuff first. Then, delve back inside to see if a connection has come loose. But, since you hear the start-up chime, which comes from the Logic Board through the internal speakers before the OS has loaded, to me it seems like the internal connection would be OK.

6. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

I've decided to tear apart my iMac to find the root of the problem. It turns out the I/O was indeed loose. The terminals were exposed. I've snapped it back in place—and now the internal audio speakers are working fine.

Whew! I thought I might've screwed something up. Thanks again for all your guys help on this. I appreciate it! :)