No audio/preview button?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by user1690, Dec 6, 2011.

1. user1690 macrumors regular

user1690

Hey guys! Since i got this iBook i have noticed 1 thing missing. I dont know what its called exactly so i'll describe it. For all i know the iBook wont be able to do this at all.

On all the macs i've owned (Usually Intel and 2006 and above models), everytime i hovered my mouse over a music file, a small play button would appear and i could listen to the track right in the finder. Yet i cant do that on this iBook, any idea why?

Any information is appreciated.

iBook G4 12"
    PowerPC G4 Processor @ 1.2GHz
    1.25GB RAM
    Mac OS Leopard 10.5.8
    iTunes 10.5.1
    Quicktime 7.6.9

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not just select the file in Finder and press the space bar to preview it?

3. user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

That is a possibility yes, but i simply want to know (If there is even a reason) why i cant do it the way i have for so long. If its not possible then fine, but i'd at least like to know if it is or not.

4. interrobang macrumors 6502

Because it's running Leopard (because it's an old PowerPC Mac.)

5. user1690, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

user1690 thread starter macrumors regular

user1690

EDIT: Got my answer. Leopard is only capable of the preview function i mentioned when in Columns view mode. So if i stick with coverflow view mode, i have to use the space bar.

*Sigh* If thats the only reason, then in my opinion its utter nonsense. I can do the preview of the file the way i mention if i right click the file, press get info and then the preview section has the file with the play button in the middle, so it should be capable. Here be a screenshot for ya;

http://i.imgur.com/12VLA.png

Notice how the functionality i would like is in the file information box, but not anywhere else.