no audio through speakers - headphones ok

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puckhead193, Nov 2, 2010.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I was editing a project in FCP using headphones (klisph s4i) and i wanted to show the client the edit. When I unplugged my headphones I didn't get audio. I tried putting the volume up on the keyboard but it is grayed out. It is also grayed out on my menu bar. Coming out of the headphone jack is a red light. As soon as I plug my headphones back in, itunes open up and I get my audio. Any ideas whats going on?

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

It got turned on as an audio input. Try plugging in fully then out a couple times.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

could be a kext thats messing up. does it recognize your speakers as a sound output device?

4. Inside_line macrumors regular

I think the audio hardware is buggered on these i5,i7 MBP.

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Check to see if there`s a red light showing inside the audio jack. There`s a known issue where the "pin" telling the Mac that there`s a optical input gets stuck which disables analogue output and internal speakers.

Often plugging/unplugging a normal audio connector a few frees it off, proceed with caution though.
    Ultimately may require repair if this is the case.

Just a thought.

Just re-read your post properly, and you already said you had a red light showing so this IS the issue.

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

exactly what i said but more explanation :p

7. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

i unplugged normal headphones a few times, but that didn't solve the problem. I had to reboot and it seems normal now... :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the imput everyone. I really did not want to drive to apple today. :)