Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WindowsFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Honestly I was really missing the auto brightness from the 4G. I wanted a way to quickly change the brightness without always having to mess with the general settings, tapping brightness settings, and fiddling with the brightness bar.

The work around I found for it is I got an app simply called "Brightness". The app works like this, it lets you set a desired brightness, but it'll never save that brightness after you lock the device. Most people might see this and think the app is broken and/or not saving settings, but that is indeed how it's supposed to function. This is how I use it, in the app I set the brightness all the way down to zero, for when I'm in doors or in low light. Now, every time lock and unlock the iPod again, it'll default to the brightness I have in the general settings in the iPod (about %60), and if I happen to be in a low light situation and the iPod is too bright, I just tap the "brightness" app and close it again, now my iPod at the zero brightness again without having to mess with any settings.

I like having it like this because I'll never be caught off guard when I'm out in the sun or under bright light, every single time I turn on my iPod, I'll be able to clearly see the screen. But if I'm indoors and it's just too bright for my eyes, or I want to save battery, I can conveniently tap the Brightness app to get back to a comfortable brightness until I lock my iPod again.

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
thanks but i think i would just set it around 40% indoor/outdoor once i got mine.

Always thought that with auto brightness, i can't see the picture clear enough indoor with my 4th gen.

Xeblade

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Honestly I was really missing the auto brightness from the 4G. I wanted a way to quickly change the brightness without always having to mess with the general settings, tapping brightness settings, and fiddling with the brightness bar.

The work around I found for it is I got an app simply called "Brightness". The app works like this, it lets you set a desired brightness, but it'll never save that brightness after you lock the device. Most people might see this and think the app is broken and/or not saving settings, but that is indeed how it's supposed to function. This is how I use it, in the app I set the brightness all the way down to zero, for when I'm in doors or in low light. Now, every time lock and unlock the iPod again, it'll default to the brightness I have in the general settings in the iPod (about %60), and if I happen to be in a low light situation and the iPod is too bright, I just tap the "brightness" app and close it again, now my iPod at the zero brightness again without having to mess with any settings.

I like having it like this because I'll never be caught off guard when I'm out in the sun or under bright light, every single time I turn on my iPod, I'll be able to clearly see the screen. But if I'm indoors and it's just too bright for my eyes, or I want to save battery, I can conveniently tap the Brightness app to get back to a comfortable brightness until I lock my iPod again.

Sounds great! Could you provide us the itunes link? Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.