No Auto-Brightness toggle switch ios7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Incitemaybe, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Incitemaybe macrumors newbie

I found my screen stopped auto dimming, went into settings and found I don't have the auto-brightness toggle switch any longer.

Ive searched around the internet a bit and have found very few issues similar to mine.
    When I did find solutions it was to clean install ios7.

Before I go down that time consuming road I'd thought I'd fish for any other suggestions as to how to get my auto-brightness toggle switch back.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies :)

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Mind posting a screenshot of what you see when you go to Settings, Wallpapers & Brightness? It should be right under the Brightness adjusting bar, and above "Choose a New Wallpaper."

If it's really not there, I'd try a hard reset (hold home and power buttons together until the phone restarts). Then check to see if it's there.

3. Incitemaybe thread starter macrumors newbie

I've definitely tried the reset by holding both the home button and power button.

Here's a screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

Are you sure it had it? I know that all iPods don't actually have the sensor.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is correct. The 5th generation iPod, the only one that can run iOS 7, does not have an ambient light sensor required for using the auto-brightness feature of iOS.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

True, didn't even think the OP could be talking about an iPod (which wasn't clear until the screenshot was posted).

OP, I think this is your answer.

7. Incitemaybe thread starter macrumors newbie

I just upgraded from an iPod 4 which did have the sensor..... :(

Oh well, at least I know I'm just not missing it for no reason:)

Thanks for the replies!

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

iPad 4?

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

iPod Touch 4th generation had an ambient light sensor.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp594

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting upgrade path there removing something like that when going from 4th to 5th generation then.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah. I guess by adding the flash and making it thinner there was no longer room for the sensor.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like they were able to keep it for the phones without a problem, just perhaps not making them overly thin--I guess somehow simple form or even just thickness won over actual useful hardware (that was there in a previous version).

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhones have the IR LED and sensor in the for the proximity sensor. It would not be hard to include an ambient light sensor on that same board without increasing the device's thickness.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, certainly makes it easier and likely has more use in an iPhone, I agree. I guess just doesn't seem all that great to simply get a slightly thinner device at the cost of not having a feature like this which was there in the previous version. Perhaps some would value thickness (or lack of it in this case) over that, but it seems more of a form over function type of thing, especially where functionality is actually lost.