No auto focus outside with iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iTom17, Sep 24, 2016.

1. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

So I wanted to test the video camera of the iPhone 7 today at perfect conditions outside. I tried walking towards a flower. You know, to get that nice 'bokeh' effect by focusing on the flower and blurring the background. For some reason, this was not happening until I tapped to focus. Which I really annoying. And you know what's strange, auto focus does work in some other conditions. I've got the feeling it has something to do with the sunlight shining through the lens, because when I viewed the result I noticed how the screen went some sort of 'black' a few times (and not slowly, but very quickly for a period of 1 second). It also did some strange stuff to the exposure a few times, like getting darker for a few seconds. But this has never been an issue with my iPhone 6s, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

I've tried searching for some solutions, like taking the case off or cleaning the lens. Neither one of these have helped. I'm wondering if it could be a defective camera, or whether there's any other solution I could try. Would be great to learn about that. I mean, the camera itself is fantastic. Amazing level of detail, great color reproduction, impressive results in low light conditions and thanks to OIS more stabilized video. It's just that the camera won't auto focus in more specific situations. So any help would be appreciated.

2. Geert76 macrumors 65816

heerlijk weertje he! en dat voor eind september....heb ook al wat mooie fotootjes geschoten met mijn jetblack iPhone!

3. iTom17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Haha, helemaal mee eens uiteraard. Heerlijk dat we rond deze tijd toch nog het zonnetje mee hebben. Sowieso heb ik zelf ook prachtige foto's kunnen schieten. Maar bij het filmen lijkt het zonlicht roet in het eten te gooien, haha.

For the English readers:
    Haha, totally agree with you of course. Wonderful that we've still got some sun around this time. I've been able to shoot great pictures anyway. But it's just that the sunlight seems to ruin it a bit when filming, haha.