No autocorrect on iPad when using a bluetooth keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ChrisTX, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I did a Google search, and a search here first, and it seems like it's true. But a small annoyance, that there is no autocorrect on the iPad when paired with a bluetooth keyboard. Seems silly when this basic functionality has been added to the Mac with OSX Lion. I didn't notice this at first until recently when I started to realize that I still make a few mistakes due to the keyboard on the solar keyboard folio being a little cramped. I assume there really is no fix for this? Sorry if this topic has been rehashed here but I couldn't find any threads when searching here.

2. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Yeah I noticed this too, really don't understand why it is disabled when hooking up the keyboard. Wonder if iOS 6 fixes this?

3. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I haven't seen anything yet, but I hope so. It's not a huge deal, but rather a small annoyance. Just makes no sense when this is a standard feature in OSX, and completely native on all iOS devices since the beginning.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

That was the first thing i noticed when I started using a Bluetooth keyboard. I really hope apple at least gives us the option to toggle it on and off in ios6.

I did write apple and suggest that feature, hopefully others have as well.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think the autocorrect is probably a function of the software keyboard. That is, the Bluetooth keyboard just sends signals to an iDevice denoting what characters to input, while the on-screen keyboard is a software layer that takes multi-touch input and interprets signals from that as characters, and while doing so also runs autocorrect subroutines. So it's not that they "disabled" the autocorrect with Bluetooth keyboard, and enabling it isn't as simple as throwing a switch. They probably have to write lots of code to intercept signals coming from the Bluetooth keyboard and provoke the autocorrect based on those signals.

6. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Interesting thought for sure. You'd think Apple would have thought of this, since they make an Apple branded bluetooth keyboard specifically for the iPad.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, I dunno. They either didn't think of it, or more likely thought of it and decided they have other priorities. I'm convinced Apple thinks differently than I do -- there are dozens of minor stuff like this not only in iOS but in OS X too where I'm left thinking "Why the *#@! wouldn't they do this?????" I've just given up and learned to go with the flow, life is too short to get worked up over stuff like this.