no "automatic" location

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maxeyy, Dec 19, 2009.

1. maxeyy macrumors newbie

Hello!!

I am new to this forum and I strongly need your help!!!
    My automatic location in the network preferences disappeared...i canconnect to the internet anymore =(
    ...thanks, I appreciate your help

max

ps. im not a mac expert, just got my first one

2. Mumford macrumors regular

Can you select Edit Locations... from the Location bar and create a new Automatic?

3. maxeyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick answer!!
    Yes I can select edit locations. I have also got one location in there, which are my schoole internet settings.

However, this wouldnt work at home.
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick answer!!
    Yes I can select edit locations. I have also got one location in there, which are my school internet settings.

However, this wouldnt work at home.
    Thanks

4. Mumford macrumors regular

Try creating a new location? It would be the + button on the bottom left of the small window that comes up when you select Edit Locations.

5. maxeyy thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I expressed myself not clealy...It's not the problem how to create a new location(settings) but how to make it an
    automatic location. I did try to create a new location and put all the settings on automatic, but I wasn't able to connect to
    the internet. Thus, I am asking for the
    setting, i.e. how to make a location an
    automatic location, so that I can access any free network.
    I was wondering if it is maybe possible to reset the network preferences to default, this should bring the automatic location back.
    Many thanks

6. Mumford macrumors regular

The file that contains network location info is /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist. You can try deleting that & rebooting, although I would definitely back up. It looks like mine only contains networking info, but better safe than sorry.

This seems overkill, though. AFAIK there's nothing special about the "Automatic" location. It's just the one that's already there. Just make sure "Ask to join new networks" is checked for the Airport Preferences, and under the Advanced -> TCP tab you're getting an IP via DHCP or assigning one manually.

7. maxeyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I will to try that as soon as I get home and let you know.