No Back light or Picture - How to diagnose 2013 Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bhollehday, Feb 18, 2016.

1. bhollehday macrumors newbie

bhollehday

I bought a MBP 2013 Retina A1398 that doesn't work when an LCD is plugged in. The external HDMI port works fine and so does the computer, so I believe its not a graphics card issue. The LCD works fine on another laptop, so I know its not an LCD issue.

I read this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...nd+type+is+the+same+for+a+Mid-2012+Retina+15"

and get a reading of 0 ohm across Fuse F9700, so this would mean its good right? I shined a bright light behind the apple during boot up and can not see anything. Im not sure what fuses i need to test or how to tell if they are bad. Does anyone have experience with diagnosing this issue?

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

3. bhollehday thread starter macrumors newbie

bhollehday

I tried that but it asked for my purchase date and i dont know it so i entered one in and it had an error or sorry message. I went to the apple store today and he said it would be a flat fix fee of $300, under this extended coverage program they offer. Does this sound right?

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

The web page I linked above said they would fix it free of charge if it was covered by the extended warranty.

Did it ask for a purchase date AFTER you put in your serial number?

5. bhollehday thread starter macrumors newbie

bhollehday

Yes it was after. I enter the serial and it says, "please validate purchase date", since i dont know it i just enter a date around 2013, and then it says "We're sorry, but we are unable to complete your request at this time. Please try again later."

6. JohnDS macrumors 65816

You could try later as suggested with your best guess as to a purchase date.

Check your old e-mails. If you bought the Mac at an Apple store, they may have e-mailed you a receipt.

7. bhollehday thread starter macrumors newbie

bhollehday

8. bhollehday thread starter macrumors newbie

bhollehday

Anyone else have an issue like this? I verified I have the correct screen. The plug and connector look good. The computer works fine through the external HDMI. I went in a pitch black room with a bright LED light shining through the apple and I cant find anything that looks like im getting picture.