No backlight after ssd installation - imac 27" 2011 - UPDATED

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Frederiksberg, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Frederiksberg, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

Frederiksberg macrumors member

Hi guys

I've just installed an OCZ Vertex 3 as an add-on in my imac 27" 2011 - I followed the guide at chargedpc.com.

But when I switch the computer on, the backlight is suddenly gone. When I shine something at the screen, I see that the screen is displaying something. I think it's my mail programme. But the screen is almost pitch black.

Can anyone help me? What have connected wrongly?

Btw, the fans also rev up. Don't know why, cause the original drive is still there. Please help me :(

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Check if backlight power cable is properly connected:
    [​IMG]

3. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I Will check that, when I get home. I don't understand, why the fan revs up. A lot of people installed the same ssd without fan trouble. Any ideas?

4. ben2e macrumors member

Did you use the parts they said or the cable below ?

http://www.amazon.com/Slimline-pin-SATA-Female-Cable/dp/B0056OB8GK

It's not mentioned enough times but it's quite easy to damage the motherboard doing this operation. The plugs are tiny and have tiny pins which are quite easy to damage. The fan going nuts could just be the plug. The part above should resolve that.

Having done this once, I'd never advice someone do it. It's just not worth the risk. Far better to just ditch the optical drive and leave the motherboard where it is.

5. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

I used the exact cable, you mention. And I plugged it in below the hdd cable. So I'm quite surprised that the fans are going nuts. Someone somewhere mentioned, that reinstalling the OS would solve that. Although I don't understand how.

I agree - it was far worse to do than I expected. I'm so scared I damaged something.

6. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

It was of course because I didn't connect the backlight cable. Stupid!

It now works. And something stramhed happened. At first the fan didn't kick in, but the desktop displayed a message saying, that it couldn't read the disk. I then formatted the ssd, which didn't cause any trouble. But as soon as the drive was formatted, the fan kicked in. I don't get it!!!

Any ideas?

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Isn't there a tempreature sensor on the existing HD? On the replacement drive it has to be jumpered or plugged into something? If not it reports max temperature and the fans will run top speed. I don't have a 27" but seem to recall this from reading a couple of the teardown threads.

8. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

Well, I Think that's right, but the original hdd is still there and wasn't changed. And I do believe it's the cpu fan that's going crazy :confused:

9. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

Well, I just opened it, and removed the screen and turned it on. Apparently it's ALL the fans! I just couldn't hear that the others were also going crazy, because the cpu fan was so loud.

Could it be because the computer thinks, the temperature is too high? I mean, could the ssd tell the system, that it's too hot? And why aren't everyone experiencing that?

10. Lypsyl macrumors newbie

In the comments in the Charged PC blog there is a guy with the same problem.

11. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

That's right. It seems as if it's the same guy who replied in this thread. I've written him a PM.

I tried disconnecting the ssd (althoug the cable is still plugged into the sata port on the mb). But all the fans still rev up. That makes me think I've either broken something or it's something I can't think of.

12. juzmacman macrumors newbie

Reset SMC

Have you tried to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) ?

Shut down - unplug all cables including power - Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds , release and plug cables back in.

Note : If you press the power button while inserting the power cord, the iMac will enter a mode in which all the fans run at full speed.

The problem is usually resolved by resetting the SMC as above.

Hope this might help your issue.

13. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the tip! I tried it yesterday, though, to no avail :( I had to hand it in for a fixing today. I hope it's covered. And now I have an SSD, that I don't have the guts to try and install again.

14. Lypsyl macrumors newbie

15. Frederiksberg thread starter macrumors member

Well, it was a rather terrible experience :( I had to hand it in for a repair. The motherboard was damaged somehow. I don't know how - I was incredibly careful. Nevertheless, they had to put in a new motherboard.