No Backlit Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisrus13, Jul 26, 2015.

1. chrisrus13 macrumors newbie

Hi All

I've bought a mid 2014 macbook pro 15", to later get it back and find the backlight isn't working on the keyboard. Its still under apple warranty so I'm trying to take it in there but there booked out for the next week.

The keyboard lights up for a sec when it boots up and when you awake it from sleep, but after that nothing. hitting the keys bring up the usual correct icons on the screen.

I have tried resetting the SMC, PRAM and reinstalling Yosemite but still no joy.

Running a diagnostics reveals no hardware issues.

Any ideas of anything else to try?

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

If you bought it from Apple within the last 14 days just take it back to Apple. Don't even bother with Genius Bar.

3. chrisrus13 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

Have you tried turning off the auto illuminate in low light? In the System Prefs -> keyboard

5. chrisrus13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that one also with no result.

The only other one i have done is some said on the internet remove com.apple.iokit.AmbientLightSensor from library. Still nothing.

6. chrisrus13 thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys reckon its worth quickly sticking a partition of xp on here see if it lights up in that?

Surely that will rule out it being software issue?

7. chrisrus13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no lights after booting in Windows 7 Bootcamp, so I assume it is a hardware problem as its dead over 2 different OS's.

Thanks for the help to those who got back to me.