No Backup to disc in iTunes 10.4

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Graig, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Graig macrumors 6502

Graig

Has anyone else noticed that the Backup to disc utility has been removed from iTunes 10.4? I just went to save my Purchased music and it seems that you can no longer save your music to DVD as in the past.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple updated their iTunes Support Article on July 22, 2011 to reflect the changes.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1382

3. Graig thread starter macrumors 6502

Graig

That is wonderful for those who have 10.3 installed. Now what about those of us who have updated to 10.4?

4. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

I think this is obviously a move on Apple's part to redirect people toward their new cloud campaign. Since you can now re-download all purchased music from iTunes, there's no real reason to back it up to physical media.

I guess rather than continue to support this feature, they decided to get rid of it all-together. Apple's moving slowly toward disc-less computers, starting with the MacBook air. I bet you they'll continue to kill optical drives in all machines in a few years time. For a company that's so focused on cramming as much tech as they can into small form-factors, the drive just takes up previous space as far as they're concerned.

5. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

Backed up iPhoto pictures and was about to backup iTunes library then noticed.

So now what?????

I have 3.7gig music and have a 4 gig USB stick.

Not sure how to do it????

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Copying your iTunes folder, located inside your Music folder, to your 4GB USB stick will do the job if you've had the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" options enabled in the iTunes "Advanced" preferences tab.

7. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

not sure I like this

as over 50% of my music is ripped from CD, I will have to pay Apple $25 (whatever uk equivalent) per year for iTunes match to have my songs backup up

or buy another large external drive to keep copies of it all

8. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

Seems this will work but would 3.85 Gigs of music and 42 apps take 5.42 gigs of free disk space. I tried the Flash drive and it pulls up "Will not fit". UH so I pull up file and try to "burn to disk" and it says you need a disk 5.42 Gigs of free space> :eek:

Does this sound right?
    I'm backing up the few files I have because i'm going to do a clean install of OSX and see if that fixes a few issues I'm having.

Yeah this whole thing has me pissed off. :mad:

Apple you guy had better UnFU** this SH** now!!

9. yannstevenson macrumors newbie

yannstevenson