No backups for almost 2 years

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ajm222, Oct 16, 2018.

1. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I recently sent my watch in for service/repair. I was told over chat to basically erase it and unpair it. I was unable to do it in the proper order because I didn't have my watch with me at the time, so they essentially had me send a signal to erase it first. I did that because the rep suggested they couldn't start processing a repair ticket or whatever until that was completed, and I figured the watch backed itself up with the phone daily. When I got home later I then chose to unpair. My understanding is that if I had done it the other way around it would have asked if I wanted to back it up first. But again, I didn't think that was an issue because I assumed it was backing itself up daily.

Well, I got the watch back yesterday after they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and I have re-paired it for the time being. It did ask if I wanted to restore from backup, but to my surprise I had only four backups showing, and all were from early 2017.

I am assuming all my health data etc is stored on the phone (not that I need it), and it appears all of my activity is still saved and wasn't erased. So I am assuming the only thing I lost were the settings and the way I had set up the watch faces gallery, and any music I transferred to the watch itself. None of these things are particularly important and all are easy to change back. But is there anything else that I might have lost that I am not thinking of?

Also, is there some setting that forces the watch to back things up daily that maybe I missed? Just curious.

Thanks

2. ray737 macrumors 6502

It’s my understanding the only time settings are saved is when u unpair the watch. Beyond that activities etc are backed up daily. I realized all this when I upgraded from AW3 to AW4

3. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Health data is stored in iCloud if you have "Health" turned on in iCloud sync. It gets updated continuously as far as I can tell. This includes activity and achievements as well as the other health stats.

A backup of the Watch itself is only created when you unpair it from the iPhone.

4. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a