Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
This was working not long ago so I don’t think it’s an iOS 11 design thing.

Anyone else had/fixed this?

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
My phone will vibrate when a new email has been fetched while it’s locked. When I unlock it, there’s no banner notification. The badge is updated, and the notification is in the pull down today view, but no banner

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My phone will vibrate when a new email has been fetched while it’s locked. When I unlock it, there’s no banner notification. The badge is updated, and the notification is in the pull down today view, but no banner
Don't the banners only show up at the time that a notification comes in (if the device is unlocked) and not after the fact?

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Don't the banners only show up at the time that a notification comes in (if the device is unlocked) and not after the fact?
I’ve always had it (possibly until iOS 11) that if an email comes overnight say, upon unlocking the phone I would get a banner for each email (unless there were something like six or more)

Reactions: NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I’ve always had it (possibly until iOS 11) that if an email comes overnight say, upon unlocking the phone I would get a banner for each email (unless there were something like six or more)

This.

If I go to my iPad on 9 first, banners happen. Not on the iPhone on 11.

Seeing issues with Notifications in general. Sometimes see a banner, frequently not (and yes, Notifications are setup properly; wonky on an app by app basis).

Reactions: Galacticos

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
I have seen on a few websites that at the moment you can only have banner alerts or history alerts work at the moment. It’s one or the other.

I really hope this isn’t by design and the bug gets fixed soon!

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Go to Settings -> Notifications -> Mail, then select the account. It will give you the banner options in there.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Go to Settings -> Notifications -> Mail, then select the account. It will give you the banner options in there.
It already on.

I’m pretty sure it’s a bug. I see no upside in not having a banner after unlock.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Resurecting this old thread...

Finally got a notification on an email account I get almost zero traffic on (Outlook: using OneDrive for backups of backups and for secondary account for notifications from AppleID]).

Took a look at my settings for Notifications for email: primary Gmail accounts were set to show in history, this account does not. Flipped the Gmails to not be shown in history. Will see if that does the trick.

ADD: seeing banners from some other apps that I've turned off "Show in History". So, appears to be mutually exclusive with banners setting. Bug?

Last edited:

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Resurecting this old thread...

Finally got a notification on an email account I get almost zero traffic on (Outlook: using OneDrive for backups of backups and for secondary account for notifications from AppleID]).

Took a look at my settings for Notifications for email: primary Gmail accounts were set to show in history, this account does not. Flipped the Gmails to not be shown in history. Will see if that does the trick.

ADD: seeing banners from some other apps that I've turned off "Show in History". So, appears to be mutually exclusive with banners setting. Bug?
That was what I’ve found.. it’s either one or the other.

Im not in a position to know but SURELY this is a bug.

I’m quite surprised not to see more complaints about it. It’s very silly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.