"No Batteries Available" - What should I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by botolo86, Oct 30, 2009.

1. botolo86 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

My white MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo is not charging the battery anymore. It says "No Batteries Available" and it works only with the cable plugged in.

I already tried the following:

- buy new battery - FAIL
    - reset SMC (30 seconds procedure) - FAIL
    - reset SMC (5 seconds procedure) - FAIL

I brought the Mac at the Apple Genius. They say there has been a liquid leak and asked me $780.00 for the repair (it does not make sense to pay this amount for this computer).

I am not aware of any liquid leak. Yes, I had my MacBook in my backpack during rainy days but I had an umbrella :)

Anyway, I would like to have any advice about (i) where I could bring my Mac to repair (I live in the Bay Area) or (ii) what I could try to replace, following tutorials (like the very good ones on ifixit.com).

Thanks!!!!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Then it's probably the logic board and unfortunately, logic boards are costly which is why people don't repair them if that's what needs to be repaired. If they said there was liquid damage, you're in a position where it's hard to prove them wrong. The only thing I suggest is call CSR and see if they can do anything for you. If not, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

The other option, though I don't think it's worth it, is to find the same logic board for dirt cheap (probably not possible) and do the repair yourself.

3. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Sounds like the logic board is going flakey. My guess is that it is only a matter of time before you start having other issues with the machine. If they say it was water damage, he must have seen something inside that indicated it, water marks, etc. Sorry