no battery, SMC fuss

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Tech198, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

What's going on here...??

This is more than one time i've had this issue. I get a "No battery available" on my MBP-R, even when running on battery.

Sometimes i need to power off and do SMC reset, while other times the icon changes to a battery icon without a "X" and reports stats is correct.

Is this normal ? or should i get is checked out at an Apple Store?

Attached Files:

2. sharon22 macrumors regular

First, make sure it is NOT a hardware issue.

Although this won't totally preclude the possibility that it is a software issue, do this:

You can diagnose this by going into System Preferences, and create another Fresh New User Account (with admin privileges). Then, log yourself out, and log yourself back in as the brand new user you just created.

Fiddle around as the new user for a while, and see if you have the same "no battery" symptoms.

If the symptoms completely and permanently go away, then you have something messed up in your software, and would want to do a reinstall of your Operating System.

Otherwise, if it is a hardware issue, then do all the hardware resets available to you (zap PRAM, zap NVram, or whatever can be zapped these days). And, if the battery is self-serviceable, then replace the battery w/ brand spankin new one.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would certainly have it checked by Apple.
    PRAM/NVRAM (PRAM on non-Intel-based Macs, NVRAM on Intel-based Macs) has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues, so resetting it will not help. Only SMC affects such issues.

4. sharon22 macrumors regular

I know, but it wouldn't hurt -- corruption is corruption, one little corrupt thingy can affect other stuff. So, you gotta figure how hard can it be to press 3 keys during startup, as long as there is the slightest of slight chances it may fix something.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is zero chance of resetting NVRAM affecting power or battery issues. If you take the time to learn what NVRAM does affect, you'll know when to recommend it and when not to.

6. sharon22 macrumors regular

There is zero chance of even the existance of "zero chance."
    [citation: Physics 101]

But, I do get your point ;)