No-bezel effect on black iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macsoulo, Oct 3, 2013.

1. macsoulo, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

macsoulo macrumors newbie

I was trying to set the darkest wallpaper I can. I think it's a really cool effect if you can't see the bezel.

It gives it an effect that the apps are floating in mid air. Almost like it has no bezel.

But it seems that there isn't a wallpaper dark enough to match the darkness of the bezel,

Is there a scientific explanation of why this is?

Attached Files:

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Maybe because there's light behind the screen?

3. macsoulo thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense. When I turn the brightness down it almost... almost hides the bezel and it looks like the whole phone is one screen.

It looks pretty rad specially when you do things like enter multitasking mode, search and use window view in Safari.

Everything floats!

Attached Files:

4. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

if you had an OLED display, you would be able to. The screen technology that the iPhone 5c/5s uses doesn't allow for the deepest possible blacks.

5. macsoulo, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

macsoulo thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I noticed that with the MotoX, there was no bezel, the home button is on the touchscreen.

But yes, it would look so good with iOS 7. That's the good thing about flat design, everything looks more touchable.

Try it using Safari. It looks so cool when switching web pages.

Attached Files:

6. snowman1 macrumors regular

Yeah, I followed your suggestion, and I just put a black wallpaper on my black iPhone 5 too. It definitely looks really nice. :)

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yeah, it's called LCD. ;)

8. klover macrumors 6502a

LCD displays "create" black by attempting to block the backlighting. Regretably, the LCD panel cannot effectively block all light so you end up with that dark-grey appearance (or, in other cases, splotchy black levels around the corners - the infamous backlight bleed).

Alternatively, AMOLED/OLED displays are more like a plasma television; each individual pixel self-illuminates (no backlighting). So, when a pixel is "off", it emits no light* and produces a deep black level.

*There is a nominal level of luminance emitted from an OLED panel due to a low voltage state.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks nice, but I'd rather have a picture as my wallpaper.

10. applesnacks, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

applesnacks macrumors newbie