no bluetooth

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skd, Jan 15, 2009.

1. skd macrumors 6502

i just pick up my mbp that was getting worked on in the apple store. one of the problems that were to be fixed was the bluetooth which would loose it's connection. when i got home and turned on the computer there was no bluetooth in the menu bar or in the system preferences under hardware. is there something i need to do to activate the bluetooth?

2. msevild macrumors regular

No. When bluetooth does not show up in system preferences, it means that the computer does not think that you have a bluetooth module installed on your mac. I would check the system profiler(Apple icon in upper left corner, About this Mac, and then button that says more info) and see if any information is displayed under bluetooth. Then check under USB to see if there is a Bluetooth host controller that shows up. If neither of these are there, I might suggest resetting your computers SMC(go to Apple Support and search for MacBook Pro reset SMC) and then seeing if bluetooth comes back. If not, I would return to the Apple Store and get it checked in again. Let me know how it goes.

3. skd thread starter macrumors 6502

msevild - that's exactly what happen when i took it back to the apple store (which is only 15 min away). What was wrong was that the ribbon cable that goes on top of the bluetooth was upside down - so there wasn't any connection