No boot: Apple logo then a crossed circle - WTF is this?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kamm, Jul 16, 2008.

1. kamm macrumors regular

kamm

Black MB4,1
    2x2GB RAM
    Latest Leopard + XP SP2 (both Boot Camp & Parallels)

Recently FF3 started freezing up under my wife's restricted account so I moved my wife's profile thinking FF3 will create a new one and I will migrate her bookmarks back... then this PoS MacBook froze up, I couldn't do anything but push and hold the power button for few sec to force a shutdown.
    Next reboot went fine but soon FF3 froze up again - shut down, reboot and then the **** did hit the fan: Apple logo turned into a crossed circle and just sat there for 10 minutes...
    Great, I thought, ****in HDD and/or the OS X fs is FUBARed so I put in the OS X install disc, rebooted. Pressed and held D, Diagnostic came up, short test went fine, rebooted, smaecrap. Back to D mode, long test selected, went to sleep.
    Today morning extended test was done fine, rebooted - still stupid crossed circle sign, grrr.
    Rebooted, went ahead with the OS X Installer (took very long time to come up), of course it refused to touch the newer installed version (disc is original Leopard that came with the machine), so pulled up Disk Utility, verified disk (OK), verified permissions (some were off but repaired them), horray, disk is fine, thought and went ahead, selected 10.5.4 under Startup Disk and rebooted.

Still ****in crossed circle... :eek:

...and after 5-10 mins of it - I left it angrily to sit there - suddenly Windows started booting, from the Boot Camp partition - which tells me my OS X partition is ****ed up for some reason.
    Windows XP is working fine - ridiculous but true. (BTW I never want to hear a compaint about XP or a praise of this craptastic quality OS X over XP SP2!:()

Had to leave for work but it's still annoying me: HTF one supposed to fix this PoS MacBook now? :mad::mad::mad:

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

why erase and lose the date? do an archive and install in a situation like this.