no boot camp with Parallels 5?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zebceponaf, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Zebceponaf macrumors newbie

Well, I'm ready to re-do my windows configuration on my MBP after installing new HDD.

Currently I have Windows 7 running through Parallels 5, everything works fine except I am unable to go into Boot Camp. I remember doing the whole boot camp install, and having parallels installing it's own section of windows after not recognizing the boot camp installation.

I want to be able to boot into Windows 7 through boot camp, or run the same installation through Parallels.

What's the proper method to go about this?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Please wait until it's supported by Apple. Windows 7 is not supported. Yes, you can find posts here of people using Vista drivers and such, but the truth is, it's not supported yet.

It's coming soon.

3. Zebceponaf thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, well I could use my copy of Windows XP as well. I just would like to have my Parallels partition be bootable. Parallels 5 didnt' seem to allow me to do this.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

So, the first thing will be to install Windows XP in boot camp. Get that updated with all of the service packs and such, and then boot into OS X. From Parallels 5, you can create a new virtual machine, but tell it to use the boot camp partition.

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide.pdf