no boot device - different issue than other threads

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by enderfish, Oct 29, 2007.

1. enderfish macrumors newbie

Update:

Got past the initial problem, but now I am getting a new message that says the hal.dll file is apparently corrupt. Have tried three different XP install CDs, all of which function fine at work, just not in this scenario with boot camp.

So... the hal.dll is obviously not corrupt on all three CDs, so there must be some issues here with boot camp.. anyone have any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------​

Hi,

I am running into this problem where I am trying to install Windows XP SP2 on an Intel based Mac running Bootcamp. I partitioned and formatted a portion of my drive as Fat32, with 32GB of space allocated.

I inserted the XP SP2 CD, hit the restart button. It found and booted from the CD, everything went fine, and copied over the required install files. After it finished copying files, it went through the regular restart cycle. From that point, it booted up, then gave me a 'no bootable device' message, despite it having actually copied over all the required files.

I retried this using NTFS file structure as well, but no luck.

Anyone have any ideas on what could possibly be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - The Mac is running Leopard, so Bootcamp was included in the OS.

2. enderfish thread starter macrumors newbie

fix

Alrighty, well I found this on another site, and it completely worked for me. So I am just going to post it here.

When I first partitioned the drive with Boot Camp Assistant, I did it to 32 GB (This may be a preference, so try it out). After restarting and entering the Windows Setup, I went into the recovery console (Hit R at the first blue screen, unless you're using a streamlined disc which may or may not have these options at the start; To put it simply, you'll need a disc with the recovery console on it, an official Windows XP cd will do the job).

IMPORTANT: Use the diskpart command BEFORE formatting to confirm that your Boot Camp partition is the C: drive!!

Once in the recovery console, and checking your partitions with diskpart, type the following to format your Boot Camp partition:

format C: /Q /fs:ntfs

It will confirm that you want to format.This will format the partition created by the Boot Camp Assistant into NTFS. The '/Q' flag indicated a quick format. This can be removed if you wish.

After doing this, type exit to restart. Continue the Windows Setup as usual.

No disk error, no corrupt/missing hal.dll, no problems.