No Boot Device Found After Re-Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lagsalot, May 28, 2008.

1. lagsalot macrumors newbie

Hey All,

New mac user here. After about 2 months with a new MBP (great machine) I decided I would dual boot windows to see if I could ditch my desktop at work all together.

Long story short, my custom windows xp install disk that I have been using for years was not a good choice as it is setup to run all the way through installation, including partitioning the disk etc.

I have now re-installed os x leopard, and started getting all my software installed etc. However, after atleast 10-20 boots with out any issues, now I get a "no boot device found" message on every boot. Holding alt allows me to choose my os x partition and get into the os.

But I'm wondering, A. what the hell happened (boot partition erased? os x partition not flagged as a boot device) and B. How can I get it fixed without the risk of horking my box again.

Any suggestions?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Did you set your system partition as startup disk in the system preferences? Maybe try setting it again.
    I would also try resetting the PRAM, since it's reported on the Apple support site that it also contain the informations concerning the startup disk:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

3. lagsalot thread starter macrumors newbie

hah, yeah selecting it as the start up disk did the trick. Least it was something simple.. But I hate being a noob. :D

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman