No Boot device

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qet, Jul 31, 2011.

1. qet macrumors newbie

I had used bootcamp and installed windows 7. Long story short it was a pain in the ass so I got rid of the partition (through bootcamp assistant). I restarted my computer after some apple software updates and it went to a black screen and said something like "No Boot device--please insert something something" I can't remember.

I manually shut it down and pressed option to get to the OS selection screen choose mac (the only one there) and it went onto my desktop like normal. Does it still think bootcamp or windows is on my computer? I'm not computer savvy so if you do offer advice please dumb it down a little :0)

I have a iMac8, 3.06 GHz core 2 duo if that matters at all

2. simsaladimbamba

It seems, you haven't properly deleted the Boot Camp partition, but you can go to System Preferences > Startup Disk to select the standard boot volume.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I had the same thing happen to my brand new MBP after I deleted a Boot Camp partition using the boot camp assistant! I was worried that I'd really messed something up... Now it sounds to me like there's a bug in there somewhere.

I solved mine by booting with my Snow Leopard install disk. In the menu bar I think there was a Tools->Select Startup Disk or something like that, but simsaladimbamba's solution is easier.