Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Hi there,

I have a mac pro 5,1 with pretty much the stock config. This morning my ati 5770 card isn't showing any boot screen. Please help. Could it be a hardware failure.

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Hi there,

I have a mac pro 5,1 with pretty much the stock config. This morning my ati 5770 card isn't showing any boot screen. Please help. Could it be a hardware failure>

Take out the side panel
Take out the PCIe card, use an air duster to safely remove dust from pins. Keep a bit of distance, don't get the air duster too close. Clean the GPU fan dust when it's outside of computer.

Put GPU back in.

Reset PRAM.

Reset SMC.

Are you just not seeing the grey apple logo but you still can go into OSX? Is this a retail 5770? (I assume so since you said its stock)

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Yes, I don't see the grey apple logo but it goes into the os. Its the original card, the one that was shipped from apple. I will try what you have suggested. Thanks for the reply.

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
taking the card our and resetting it seemed to have solved the problem. So the dust was keeping it from showing the grey screen? wow!! But anyways, thanks very much for the quick reply. You are a lifesaver!!

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
The problem is back again. Though it seemed to me that a power surge could be the reason. The mac was turned off and connected to a UPS. Just to make sure that I give all the details, its connected to a wimax modem via USB. Now can anyone please tell me what could be reason for loosing boot screen? should I look forward to getting a news video card. Pulling the card out and then putting it back solves the issue but I don't want to be doing it often.

thanks.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Did you check the cable?

When you pull the card, you will physically re-connect the cable as well. It may be the cable's problem.

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Did you check the cable?

When you pull the card, you will physically re-connect the cable as well. It may be the cable's problem.

Are you suggesting that the cable that powers the card is problematical? I've mentioned couple of probable cause as I thought those may have interfered the electricity inside the mac hence shutting off something on the motherboard. the machine boots right into OS X but I can't see any grey screen while booting or while shutting down. I'm just hoping the back plane isn't faulty. Any suggestion is welcome.

thanks for your reply.

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I mean the cable between the card and the monitor. Is that loosely connected?

I have checked all connections thoroughly. No problem there. The problem is that all of a sudden my machine stops showing the grey boot screen and goes right into the OS. The screen goes black after pressing the shut down button as well. No grey screen and spinning wheel in the mean time. But taking out the GPU and resetting it fixes the issue. Hope I have clearly stated the issue.

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
The problem is back again

Here's a screenshot of the system info when the boot screen isn't showing.
Please help!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 9.25.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 9.25.06 PM.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 190

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Please help!!

Any suggestion folks? I've tried taking the card out and putting it back in but didn't work. I have reset PRAM and SMC but still no boot scree. What else can I do? Please help.:(

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
What OS are you running? Have you tried a complete reinstall of the OS?

There's pertinent information missing from your screenshot.

Lou

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I am running 10.8.5. No, I haven't tried a reinstall. Would you recommend a fresh install? I have posted the screenshot to show that the card isn't being properly recognised. Here are a few more. I didn't think of a reinstall cause i though it would be related to the logic board or card's EFI.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 11.49.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 11.49.03 PM.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 11.49.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 11.49.29 PM.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 160

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015
I wonder if it is normal for an Apple version of a 5770 to have a garbled description in System Info. Wouldn't it normally read something "clean" such as ATI Radeon 5770 1024MB." It may be the card isn't recognized properly.

Would an older card such as this have had dual EFI? Maybe the switch between Mac and non-Mac EFI is getting bumped or shorting out. Would explain lack of boot screen. If the card isn't dual EFI then this theory would be pure BS of course.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I am running 10.8.5. No, I haven't tried a reinstall. Would you recommend a fresh install? I have posted the screenshot to show that the card isn't being properly recognised. Here are a few more. I didn't think of a reinstall cause i though it would be related to the logic board or card's EFI.
Thanks.

I am not sure here, from your screenshot showing the 5770GPU profile, does not look like a OEM Mac version. I know you mentioned it is an OEM Apple version, it may be a PC 5770 unless I am mistaken. If I understand, you mentiioned in your first post, machine boots into your desktop without showing the Apple bootscreen.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Thanks.

You should have 5 GT/s link speed. The card isn't recognized properly.

Is it a EFI card or PC card?

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I am not sure here, from your screenshot showing the 5770GPU profile, does not look like a OEM Mac version. I know you mentioned it is an OEM Apple version, it may be a PC 5770 unless I am mistaken. If I understand, you mentiioned in your first post, machine boots into your desktop without showing the Apple bootscreen.

The card came with the Mac, brand new from apple. It used to run with no problem. In fact since I bought it, I've had no issues with the card at all. So I believe its an OEM card.

Synchro3 said:
Is it a EFI card or PC card?

Intermittently, in the last few days it did show the boot screen and the link speed was 5 then. It was 5 before the trouble started too. As I mentioned, it has been working fine for the past two years.

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
MacVidCards - yes, your description fits right. it has 2 MDP and 1 DVI. I was worried that the card is dying. But how come it is still working. I use c4d, no problem there either.
I certainly need a card with more vram, but didn't think this one would go off so quickly.

Daniel - No, this is the only pro in the house. There are iMacs and even ibooks but no pro.

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
Just a thought, why don't you try to put the card on another PCI slot and see what happens? This isn't mentioned so far, so give it a try.

mostafiz28

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Thank you all. You've turned out to be of great help. I will take MacVidCards' word and get a new card. I have been following the forum for long time and I believe the man. Lou, you have been using his cards for a while now, so which one will be good for me. My budget isn't too high though. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.