No bootable device after bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by niZmo, Nov 21, 2008.

1. niZmo macrumors newbie

I tried to install ubuntu with bootcamp on a different hard drive. Something happened and now when I turn on my computer it says no bootable devices. It doesn't even see my OSX hard drive. I tried booting up my computer and holding down option. It doesn't work. I have a wireless microsoft keyboard. Is it not letting me hold down option because the computer finds the wrieless keyboard to late. Some one said u have to hold down the option key before the mac sounds happens. The keyboard lights don't come on till after that. Should I get a USB keyboard? I have to press the start button on the keyboard to act as the option key when I'm in osx. Would the computer know that the start key is the option key on boot up?

Any help would be great. Thanks

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I have not found any method to solve the Option key startup problem with another wireless (USB reciever) Microsoft keyboard other than to plug in a wired USB keyboard in addition (the original that came with my Mac Pro) when needed and holding Option on it.

Same for holding the C key for booting from a CD/DVD, the D key for Hardware Test, etc. Not sure how people using the Apple Wireless keyboard get around that, unless the Bluetooth module is initialized soon enough since the Wireless Keyboard is a Bluetooth device.

3. niZmo thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to apple and bought a keyboard. I'm not a big fan of the new style. I like the old style keyboards that came with the mac pros, but it solved the problem.

4. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

I feel for you. BootCamp also ruined my perfectly decent Mac OS X install when used it. That program is not nearly good enough at what it is supposed to do.

Before you buy another keyboard, however, see if you can boot from the Mac CD. If you can, it has the Startup Disk utility on it. See if you can change the Startup Disk back to the Mac partition and boot that way.

edit whoops: you were the one that bought the keyboard, NM