No bootable device after installation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Xavv, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Xavv macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I have had this issue for a few days and whenever I search for it everyone has similar issues but not the same as mine so sometimes I can't even try their solutions. Mostly, every issue is before installation or not detecting the USB but mine is after :) Let me explain, so my problem is that I wanted to have a second hard drive instead of the superdrive since I don't use it, I bought an SSD and I made a bootable Mavericks USB, so I replaced the HDD with the SSD and the superdrive with the HDD and OS X recognized both of them, so everything was fine. Then I had the need to use Windows so I went ahead and used Bootcamp to install it, I made the bootable usb and got to the part where I have to select the drive where I want to install it, I had to format it to NTFS in order to select it etc. you guys know the procedure, but after the formatting, I couldn't install it either, something about boot and bios and an error 0x800024 or something like that, so after hours of research I heard you could just disconnect the SSD so only 1 drive would show and make the windows install go through, so thats what I did, I opened up my MBP and unplugged the little black cable connected to the main board, so that left me with the HDD connected to where the superdrive was supposed to be, so far so good, I turned on my MBP again and tried the installer this time it worked smoothly, it installed windows 7 perfectly, took some time but it did :) so I was happy I found a solution, though I was wrong, when I went to plug back in the SSD and turned my MBP on I could select the OS X just fine without problem but if I select the Windows HD I keep getting the " No bootable device found" black screen, I mean, I already installed it and it boots fine if I unplug the SSD but if I plug it back the windows hard drive stops booting, only the OS X does, so if you guys know what am I doing wrong please help me, I don't want to unplug the SSD every time I want to use windows, there should be another solution right? thanks in advance guys :)

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Looks like the Boot Configuration Data is wrong after you plug in both disks.

Find info how to repair by searching the web for "Windows 7 Boot Configuration Data" and "BCDedit"

3. Xavv thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah.. I don't know what am I looking at :) Sorry I am not pro at this, I googled what you suggested but it says I need to repair it by using Startup Repair Option but how can I if it doesn't load anything since supposedly there are no " bootable device connected" so I don't understand how would I fix that :) thanks though for answering~

4. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

You can unplug the second disk, boot Windows and create a "Recovery Disk" to start your System. Then plug in the second drive again, boot from this "Recovery Disk" and repair. I would recommend you use your obsolete Superdrive with a USB -> IDE cable for this, making possible that you use it as an external device.

5. Xavv thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good, though my second disk would be the HDD on the superdrive bay where the windows is installed, so if I unplug it, there would be no windows, just the OS X on the SSD which is located on the main drive bay, do you think this is the problem? right now my SSD holds the OS X and the HDD has windows installed, I can't switch them because my SSD is 6 GB/s and the optical drive reads the 3 GB/s drives or so I heard, so switching places is not an option, I can get one of those cables to connect my optical drive as external device would my windows boot if I do so? or should I just install Windows on the SSD and OS X on the HDD?

6. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Try to swap the harddisks, the Speed ( 6 GB or 3 GB/s ) handshake comes usually from the disk, not the cable.

You can check this in OX S ( System Informaton -> Sata ). Check before swap and after.

7. Xavv thread starter macrumors newbie

On my SSD says (Main drive bay)
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 6 Gigabit

On the HDD (Optical drive bay)
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

Is this what you meant?

8. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied