Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Limone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2009
have a problem: software asked for automatic update. i agreed. started update. but after automatic restart. it just black screen with " no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" plus i have music CD inside.. what to do? how to get to work this mac again?:confused:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If the DVD drive is dead and you don't have a bootable backup external drive, then you will need to find another Mac and a FW cable and try to boot in target disk mode and use the other Mac to repair the drive.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
The "No bootable device -- insert boot disc and press any key" sounds more like a Windows error than a Mac OS error. What, if anything, happens when you restart/startup holding down option, which should ideally take you into the startup manager where you can select the Macintosh HD icon? Or restarting holding down the eject key to try to kick out the music disc?

Limone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2009
yeah.. but its OS X
and i tried Opt - nothing happens
tried eject - nothing happens..:confused:

and i dont know anyone with Mac:(

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Use this to look up the nearest service provider who can take a look at the unit, assuming you're in the US. If its not accepting startup key commands and you have a stuck disc in the drive its definitely time to bring it in.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
yeah.. but its OS X
and i tried Opt - nothing happens
tried eject - nothing happens..:confused:

and i dont know anyone with Mac:(

When are you pressing Option? You should be doing it the moment you turn the computer on, and holding it down until a hard drive image appears on your screen - if you simply press it or doing it when that message appears then it won't do anything :) But if you're doing it properly then...I'm out of ideas :p

Limone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2009
sounds like i do it properly - only anyway it get stuck on that stupid message and black screen..

duffer

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
This happened to me after updating to 10.5.7. I panicked at first, but you should be fine. Reboot the machine and hold the option key until the hard drive appears onscreen. Select your startup drive and the machine should boot into OS X. I had to do this twice before mine booted properly.

duffer

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Once the machine goes down to restart, begin holding the option key until you see the startup drive appear on screen. Double click the drive and it will attempt to boot into OS X. Try this a couple times if it doesn't work on the first try. I may have had to do it 3 times.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
how long did u hold opt key? after black screen?

Make sure your computer is turned off.

Press the on button.

The moment you press the "on" button, start holding down the "Option" key.

Do not let go, at all. Just keep holding it down. It can sometimes take a while, but if you hold it down long enough the screen should turn white and a picture of a hard drive with "Mac OS X" underneath should appear.

When the picture of the hard drive appears, you can then stop holding down Option. Don't let go of it at all before that picture appears. Then click the arrow under the image/double click the image to load OS X.

Limone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2009
looks like coz a cd inside - no matter how long i hold opt it just doesnt work..

duffer

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Sorry Limone. I skipped right over the part about the music CD. Glad to see you got it sorted.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I dont think the disc should affect it at all, IMO. What holding down Option does is scan any connected drives to find a startup disc of any sort. If it can't find any then there might be a problem with your hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.